This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
How Advances in On-Road NVH Simulator Technology Have Enabled Firm Targets for Delivery at the Concept Phase
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
One of the great challenges of the NVH development process is to ensure that customers and stakeholders in the vehicle team are involved in sound quality decision making throughout a new vehicle programme. Recent developments of interactive NVH simulators have enabled a cost-effective customer-focused method for capturing the opinions and decision making processes of people who are not NVH experts.
This paper describes the latest enhancement to the NVH Simulator approach which allows the sounds of virtual vehicles to be evaluated whilst driving on-road. The sounds are created and presented to the driver in such a way that they appear totally natural and the assessor is not aware that they are synthesized. Since the subjective evaluations are performed on normal roads, key decision makers can understand, sign up with confidence to, and appreciate the value of the proposed sounds.
The main emphasis of this paper is a recent case study in which the “On-Road” and “Desktop” simulators were used at the concept stage to deliver an exciting sound to enhance and compliment a new B-segment vehicle. The paper explains how the tools were used to:
- Set vehicle level sound quality targets to enhance the appeal of the vehicle, including customer surveys and the use of the On-Road Simulator for final sign off at target confirmation drive events.
- Understand the path and source contributions of a donor vehicle and key competitor.
- Create and demonstrate a strategy for practical realisation of the vehicle level target.
The paper concludes with a discussion of the benefits of the approach and summarizes the next steps in the development of the technology and process.
CitationQuinn, D., Speed-Andrews, P., Allman-Ward, M., and Heinz, T., "How Advances in On-Road NVH Simulator Technology Have Enabled Firm Targets for Delivery at the Concept Phase," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2178, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2178.
- Allman-Ward, M. et al, The Interactive NVH Simulator as a Practical Engineering Tool, Proceedings of 2003 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference (2003)
- Allman-Ward M., et al, The evaluation of vehicle sound quality using an NVH simulator, Proceedings of Inter-Noise 2004
- Giudice, S. et al, Development and evaluation of a new sound quality evaluation approach for interactive NVH simulators, Proceedings of Inter-Noise 2006
- Williams, R. et al, Using an Interactive NVH Simulator to Capture and Understand Customer Opinions about Vehicle Sound Quality Proceedings of SIAT 2007,
- Jennings, P. et al, Developing Best Practice for Sound Evaluation using an Interactive NVH Simulator, Proceedings of 2005 JSAE Annual Congress (2005)
- Williams, R. et al, Guidelines for the efficient measurement, preparation and validation of data for use in an NVH Simulator Proceedings of 2006 JSAE Annual Congress (2006)
- Williams, R. et al, Using an Interactive NVH simulator for target setting and concept evaluation in a new vehicle programme, Proceedings of 2005 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference (2005)
- Dunne, G. et al, An efficient approach to powertrain sound quality decision making based on interactive evaluations using an NVH Simulator, Proceedings of 2007 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference (2007)