This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of the High Frequency Noise for the Passenger Car Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In accordance with the characteristics of the engine structure and of combustion excitation, diesel engines have distinctive noise characteristics in comparison to gasoline engines. In particular, the combustion excitation of the diesel engine produces significant excitation of high frequency noise. This paper describes the influence of the piston pin clearance, bed-plate design, and transmission bell housing structure, using a variety of experimental methods. Design solutions to improve the high frequency noise of diesel engines are also provided, beginning with identification of the root cause for noise generation, through the design modification of the engine structure, to the control of combustion excitation forces.
|Technical Paper||Recovery of Fault Signatures in Diesel Engines|
|Technical Paper||Automotive Diesel Engine Noise and Its Control|
|Technical Paper||An Evaluation of Combustion Noise Generation in Diesel Engine Structure|
- Jung-Yel Hwang - Hyundai Motor Company & Kia Motors Corporation
- Dae-Woon Kim - Hyundai Motor Company & Kia Motors Corporation
- Won-Jo Jeong - Hyundai Motor Company & Kia Motors Corporation
- Dal-Heun Shin - Hyundai Motor Company & Kia Motors Corporation
- Koo-Tae Kang - Hyundai Motor Company & Kia Motors Corporation
CitationHwang, J., Kim, D., Jeong, W., Shin, D. et al., "Optimization of the High Frequency Noise for the Passenger Car Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2082, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2082.
- Ping, Wang Xi-geng, Song Dong-xin, XUE “Effect of Combustion Process on DI Diesel Engine Combustion Noise” SAE Paper No. 2007-01-2076 2007
- Okamura, Hideo Arai, Susumu “Experimental Modal Analysis for Cylinder Block-Crankshaft Substructure Systems of Six Cylinder In-line Diesel Engines” SAE Paper No. 2001-01-1421 2001
- Heywood, John B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” 542 554
- Zhang, Long “A Study of Pilot Injection in a DI Diesel Engine” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-3493 1999
- Desantes, J.M. Torregrosa A.J. Broatch, Alberto “Wavelet Transform applied to Combustion Noise Analysis in High-Speed DI Diesel Engines”
- Maekawa Masahiro Nakashima, Kazuhiro “A Study of Low Noise Crankcase Structure for Light Commercial Vehicle” SAE Paper No. 942267 1994