This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
In-Cylinder Pressure Analysis through Accelerometer Signal Processing for Diesel Engine Combustion Optimization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Many efforts are being currently devoted to the development of diagnostic techniques based on nonintrusive measurements aimed at defining the injection parameters able to optimize the combustion process.
Previous papers of the authors have demonstrated a direct relationship between in-cylinder pressure and engine block vibration signals. Besides, it was also shown sensitivity of the engine surface vibration to variation of injection parameters, when the accelerometer is placed in sensitive location of the engine block. Moreover, in the accelerometer signal, a frequency band in which such a relationship is very strict has been selected.
The aim of the present work is to establish a reliable relation between the main characteristics of the in-cylinder pressure curve and the vibration trend, by means of a deeper insight into the engine block signal. The final objective is to monitor the combustion behavior by means of a non-intrusive transducer.
In this paper, the experimental apparatus is at first described; then, the processing technique is presented and finally results are reported and discussed.
CitationArnone, L., Manelli, S., Chiatti, G., and Chiavola, O., "In-Cylinder Pressure Analysis through Accelerometer Signal Processing for Diesel Engine Combustion Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2079, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2079.
- Gu, F. Li, W. Ball, A., D. Leung, A., Y., T. The condition monitoring of diesel engines using acoustic measurements Part 1: acoustic characteristics of the engine and representation of the acoustic signals presented at SAE World Congress, 2000-01-0730 2000
- Ball, A. D. Gu, F. Li, W. The condition monitoring of diesel engines using acoustic measurements Part 2: fault detection and diagnosis presented at SAE World Congress, 2000-01-0368 2000
- Anderton, D. Relation between combustion system and engine noise presented at SAE World Congress, 790270 1979
- Russel, M., F. Haworth, R. Combustion noise from high speed direct injection diesel engines present ed at SAE World Congress, 850973 1985
- Okubo, K., M. Yonezawa, T. Analysis of noise sources and their transfer paths in diesel engines presented at SAE World Congress, 90014 1990
- Marples, V. 1997 On the frequency content of the surface vibration of a diesel engine Journal of Sound and Vibration 52 3
- Badawi, B., A. Shahin, M., A. Kolosy, M. Shedied, S., A. Elmaihy, A. Identification of diesel engine cycle events using measured surface vibration presented at SAE Small Engine Technology Conference & Exhibition, 2006-32-0097 2006
- Polonowski, C., J. Mathur, V., K. Naber, J., D. Blough, J., R. Accelerometer base sensing of combustion in a high speed HPCR diesel engine presented at SAE World Congress, 2007-01-0972 2007
- Desantes, J., M. Torregrosa, J. Broatch, A. Wavelet transform applied to combustion noise analysis in high-speed DI Diesel engine presented at SAE Noise and Vibration Conference & Exposition, 2001-01-1545 2001
- Liu, S. Gu, F. Ball, A. 2006 Detection of engine valve faults by vibration signals measured on the cylinder head Proc. IMechE Part D: J. Automobile Engineering 220
- Carlucci, A., P. Chiara, F., F. Laforgia, D. 2006 Analysis of the relation between injection parameter variation and block vibration of an internal combustion diesel engine Journal of Sound and Vibration 295
- Calvo, J., A. Dìaz, V. San Román, J., L. 2005 Controlling combustion noise in direct injection diesel engine through mechanical vibration measurement Int. J. Vehicle Noise and Vibration 1 3–4
- Carlucci, A., P. Chiara, F., F. Laforgia, D. Block vibration as a way of monitoring the combustion evolution in a direct injection diesel engine presented at SAE World Congress, 2006-01-1532 2006
- Antoni, J. Daniere, J. Guillet, F. 2002 Effective vibration analysis of ic engines using cyclostationarity. Part I – a methodology for condition monitoring Journal of Sound and Vibration 257 5
- Antoni, J. Daniere, J. Guillet, F. 2002 Effective vibration analysis of ic engines using cyclostationarity. Part II – new results on the reconstruction of the cylinder pressures Journal of Sound and Vibration 257 5
- Zurita, G., V Agren, A. Pettersson, E. Reconstruction of the cylinder pressure form vi bration measurements for prediction of exhaust and noise emission in ethanol engines presented at SAE Noise and Vibration Conference & Exposition, 1999-01-1658 1999
- Arnone, L. Boni, M. Manelli, S. Chiavola, O. Conforto, S. Recco, E. Diesel engine combustion monitoring through block vibration signal analysis presented at SAE World Congress, 2009-0145 2009
- Arnone, L. Boni, M. Manelli, S. Chiavola, O. Conforto, S. Recco, E. Block vibration measurements for combustion diagnosis in multi-cylinder common rail diesel engine presented at SAE World Congress, 2009-0480 2009
- Brillinger, D., R. Time Series - Data Analysis and Theory 2nd ed. Holden Day, San Francisco 1981