This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Conduct of Precision Planetary Gear Vibration Experiments
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Despite a large body of analytical work characterizing the dynamic motion of planetary gears, supporting experimental data is limited. Experimental results are needed to support computer modeling and offer practical optimization guidelines to gear designers. This paper presents the design and implementation of a test facility and precision test fixtures for accurate measurement of planetary gear vibration at operating conditions. Acceleration measurements are made on all planetary bodies under controlled torque/speed conditions. Custom, high-precision test fixtures accommodate instrumentation, ensure accurate alignment, help isolate gear dynamics, and allow for variability in future testing. Results are compared with finite element and lumped parameter models.
|Technical Paper||Steering Grunt Noise Robustness Improvement|
|Journal Article||The Prediction of Fuel Sloshing Noise Based on Fluid-Structure Interaction Analysis|
|Technical Paper||Cogging Torque Target and Design of Motor for EPS|
CitationEricson, T. and Parker, R., "Design and Conduct of Precision Planetary Gear Vibration Experiments," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2071, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2071.
- Botman, M. 1976 “Epicyclic gear vibrations” Journal of Engineering for Industry Aug. 811 815
- Kahraman, A. 1993 “Planetary gear train dynamics” Journal of Mechanical Design 116 3 Sept. 713 720
- Lin, J. Parker, R. G. 1999 “Analytical characterization of the unique properties of planetary gear free vibration” Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 121 3 July 316 321
- Abousleiman, V. Velex, P. Becquerelle, S. 2007 “Modeling of spur and helical gear planetary drives with flexible ring gears and planet carriers” Journal of Mechanical Design 129 Jan. 95 106
- Kahraman, A. Vijayakar, S. M. 2001 “Effect of internal gear flexibility on the quasi-static behavior of a planetary gear set” Journal of Mechanical Design 123 3 Sept. 408 415
- Parker, R. G. Agashe, V. Vijayakar, S. M. 2000 “Dynamic response of a planetary gear system using a finite element/contact mechanics model” Journal of Mechanical Design 122 3 Sept. 304 310
- Kahraman, A. 1999 “Static load sharing characteristics of transmission planetary gear sets: Model and experiment” SAE Transactions 108 1954 1963
- Hidaka, T. Terauchi, Y. Nagamura, K. 1976 “Dynamic behavior of planetary gear (1st report, load distribution in planetary gear)” Bulletin of JSME 19 132 June 690 698
- Botman, M. 1980 “Vibration measurement on planetary gears of aircraft turbine engines” J. Aircraft 5 May
- Hidaka, T. Terauchi, Y. Ishioka, K. 1976 “Dynamic behavior of planetary gears (2nd report, displacement of sun gear and ring gear)” Bulletin of JSME 19 138 Dec. 1563 1570
- Parker, R. G. 2000 “A physical explanation for the effectiveness of planet phasing to suppress planetary gear vibration” Journal of Sound and Vibration 236 Sept. 561 573
- Vijayakar, S. M. 1991 “A combined surface integral and finite-element solution for a three-dimensional contact problem” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 31 3 Mar. 525 545