This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Load Effect on Source Impedance Measurement Accuracy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The source in an intake/exhaust system is commonly modeled as a source strength and impedance combination. Both the strength and impedance are normally measured and measurement accuracy depends on selecting an appropriate acoustic load combination. An incident wave decomposition method is proposed which is based on acoustic wave decomposition concepts instead of an electric circuit analogy providing a more straightforward approach to investigating the effect of acoustic load selection. Based on studying wave reflections in the system, the uncertainty for determining source impedance is estimated.
CitationLiu, J. and Herrin, D., "Load Effect on Source Impedance Measurement Accuracy," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2041, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2041.
- Munjal M. L. Flow-acoustic measurements Acoustics of ducts and mufflers Wiley New York 1987
- Desmons L. Hardy J. “A Least Squares Method for Evaluation of Characteristics of Acoustical Sources” Journal of Sound and Vibration 175 3 365 376 1994
- Boden H. Abom M. “Modelling of Fluid Machines as Sources of Sound in Duct and Pipe Systems” Acta Acoustica 3 549 560 1995
- Rammel H. Abom M. “Characterization of air terminal device noise using acoustic 1-port source models” Journal of Sound and Vibration 300 727 743 2007
- ASTM “Standard Test Method for Impedance and Absorption of Acoustical Material Using a Tube, Two Microphones and a Digital Frequency Analysis System” Philadelphia American, Society for Testing and Materials 1998
- Liu J. Herrin D. W. “A Simplified Two-Load Method for Measuring Source Impedance” NOISE-CON 2008 Dearborn, MI July 28-30 2008
- Ross David F. Crocker Malcolm J. “Measurement of the Acoustic Internal Source Impedance of an Internal Combustion Engine” Journal of Acoustical Society of America 74 1 1983
- Lavrentjev J. Boden H. A Linearity Test for Acoustic One-Port Sources Journal of Sound and Vibration 155 3 534 539 1992
- Jang Seung-Ho Ih Jeong-Guon On the selection of loads in the multiload method for measuring the acoustic source parameters of duct systems Journal of Acoustical Society of America 111 3 2002
- Boden H. Recent advances in IC-Engine acoustic source characterization Proc. Of the ICSV14 Cairns, Australia 2007
- Boden H. Error analysis for the two-load method used to measure the source characteristics of fluid machines Journal of Sound and Vibration 126 1 173 177 1988
- Hota R. N. Munjal M. L. Intake source characterization of a compression ignition engine: Empirical expressions Noise Control Engineering Journal 56 2 2008
- Demmel James Linear Equation Solving Applied Numerical Linear Algebra SIAM 1997
- Ih Jeong-Guon Peat Keith S. “On the causes negative source impedance in the measurement of intake and exhaust noise sources” Applied Acoustics 63 153 171 2002
- Tao Z. Liu J. Herrin D. W. Seybert A. F. Kato D. “Measurement of source impedance for an intake system” INTER-NOISE 2007 Istanbul, Turkey August 28-31 2007