This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Transmission Loss Measurement with and without an Anechoic Termination
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The definition method and the two load/source method of a transmission loss test of an automotive tuning device are discussed in this paper. For the definition method, the accuracy penalty due to the imperfect anechoic termination quality is studied based on an empirical acoustic model of glass-wool and the best practice of constructing an anechoic termination is attempted. The conclusion is verified with numerical simulations. For the two load/source method, the difference in the two source/load impedances compounded with the error of measured acoustic pressures, as related to transmission loss accuracy, is discussed and demonstrated.
|Technical Paper||Analytical Predictions for the Chain Drive System Resonance|
|Technical Paper||A Transient SEA Model for Transmission of Non-Stationary Wind Noise|
|Technical Paper||Power-Based Noise Reduction Concept and Measurement Techniques|
CitationZheng, S. and Kleinfeld, C., "Transmission Loss Measurement with and without an Anechoic Termination," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2035, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2035.
- Munjal, M.L., Acoustics of Ducts and Mufflers with Application to Exhaust and Ventilation System Design, John Wiley and Sons, 1987.
- Delany. M.A., and Bazley, E.N., “Acoustic properties of fibrous absorbent materials,” Applied Acoustics, vol. 3, 1970, pp.105-116.
- Bies, D.A., and Hansen, C.H., “Acoustical properties of fibrous absorbent materials,” Applied Acoustics, vol. 14, 1980, pp.357-391.
- COMSOL Multiphysics User's Guide, Version 3.4, COMSOL AB, October 2007.
- Tao, Z., and Seybert, A.F., “A Review of Current Techniques for Measuring Muffler Transmission Loss,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1653, Noise & Vibration Conference and Exhibition, Traverse City, Michigan, May 5-8, 2003.
- Lung, T.Y., and Doige, A.G., “A time-averaging transient testing method for acoustic properties of piping systems and muffler with flow,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 73, March 1983, pp 867-876.
- Pierce, Allan D., Acoustics, An Introduction to Its Physical Principles and Applications, the Acoustical Society of America, 1991.