This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study on Combustion and Emissions Characteristics of a Spark Ignition Engine Blended with Hydrogen
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the view of low thermal efficiency and high emissions of spark ignition (SI) engines, this paper investigated the effect of hydrogen blending at intake ports to a SI engine on improving its economic and emissions performance. The experiment was carried out on a modified 4-cylinder SI engine on which hydrogen could be injected into the intake ports sequentially via an ECU based control system and mixed with gasoline on-line. The combustion and emissions characteristics of a hydrogen-blended IC engine were investigated under the conditions of 1500 rpm and the stoichiometric equivalence ratio with four different hydrogen volumetric fractions of 1%, 1.5%, 2%, and 3%. The test results demonstrated that the average brake thermal efficiency increased from 25.12 to 28.35% and the average coefficient of variation in peak in-cylinder pressure decreased from 6.8% to 3.62% when hydrogen fraction changed from 0% to 3%.
Ignition delay and the rapid burning duration were shortened; the peak in-cylinder pressure was increased; CO2 and HC emissions were obviously lower with the increasing fraction of hydrogen in the intake. However, NOx and CO emissions were also increased. In a word, the addition of hydrogen to a gasoline-fuelled IC engine is a good way to improve engine performance.
CitationJi, C., Wang, S., and Yan, H., "Experimental Study on Combustion and Emissions Characteristics of a Spark Ignition Engine Blended with Hydrogen," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1923, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1923.
- Wallace, J.S. Ward, C.A.. “Hydrogen as a Fuel” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 8 4 255 268 1983
- Colin, R.F. Allan, T.K.. “Internal combustion engines.” New York John Wiley & Sons 2001
- Tang, X. Kabat, D.M. Natkin, R.J. et al. “Ford P2000 Hydrogen Engine Dynamometer Development” SAE paper No. 2002-01-0242 2002
- Ganeshb, R.H. Subramaniana, V. Balasubramanianb, V., et al. “Hydrogen fueled spark ignition engine with electronically controlled manifold injection: an experimental study” Renewable Energy 33 6 1324 1333 2008
- Kahraman, E. Ozcanli, S.C. Ozerdem, B. “An experimental study on performance and emission characteristics of a hydrogen fuelled spark ignition engine” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 32 2066 2072 2007
- Ma, F.H. Wang, Y. Liu, H.Q., et al. “Effects of hydrogen addition on cycle-by-cycle variations in a lean burn natural gas spark-ignition engine” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 33 823 831 2008
- Andreaa, T.D. Henshawa, P.F. Tingb, D.S.K.. “The addition of hydrogen to a gasoline-fuelled SI engine” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 29 1541 1552 2004
- Verhelst, S. Landtsheere, J.D. Smet, F.D., et al. “Effects of supercharging, EGR and variable valve timing on power and emissions of hydrogen internal combustion engines” SAE paper No. 2008-01-1033 2008
- Derek, D.R.. “Lean Combustion Technology and Control” 2007
- May, H. Gwinne, r D. “Possibilities of improving exhaust emissions and energy consumption in mixed hydrogen-gasoline operation.” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 8 2 21 129 1983
- Petkov, T. Veziroglu, T.N. Sheffield J.W. “An outlook of hydrogen as an automotive fuel” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 14 7 449 74 1989
- Al-Baghdadi, M.A.R.S.. “Performance study of a four-stroke spark ignition engine working with both of hydrogen and ethyl alcohol as supplementary fuel” International journal of Hydrogen Energy 25 1005 1009 2000
- Varde, K.S.. “Combustion characteristics of small spark ignition engines using hydrogen supplemented fuel mixtures” SAE Paper No. 810921 1989
- Al-Baghdadi, M.A.R.S. Al-Janabi, H.A.K.S.. “Improvement of performance and reduction of pollutant emission of a four-stroke spark ignition engine fueled with hydrogen–gasoline fuel mixture” Energy Convers Manage 41 77 91 2000
- Lucas, G.G. Richards, W.L.. “The hydrogen/petrol engine—the means to give good part-load thermal efficiency” SAE Paper NO. 820315 1982
- Al-Baghdadi M.A.S. “Hydrogen–ethanol blending as an alternative fuel of spark ignition engines” Renewable Energy 28 1471 1478 2003
- Li J.D. Guo L.S. Du T.S. “Formation and restraint of toxic emissions in hydrogen-gasoline mixture fueled engines” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 23 10 971 975 1998
- Heywood, J.B.. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw-Hill Book Co. 1988