This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Quantifying the Effects of Biodiesel Blend Ratio, at Varying Ambient Temperatures, on Vehicle Performance and Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A number of studies have been carried out examining the impact of biodiesel blend ratio on vehicle performance and emissions, however there is relatively little data available on the interaction between blend ratio and reduced ambient temperatures over the New European Drive Cycle (NEDC).
This study examines the effects of increasing the blend ratio of Rapeseed Methyl Ester (RME) on the NEDC fuel consumption and tailpipe emissions of a vehicle equipped with a 2.0 litre common rail diesel engine, tested on a chassis dynamometer at ambient temperatures of 25, 10 & −5°C.
This study found that under low temperature ambient conditions increasing blend ratios had a significant detrimental effect on vehicle particulate emissions reversing the benefits observed at higher ambient temperatures. Blend ratio was found to have minimal impact on hydrocarbon emissions regardless of ambient temperature while carbon monoxide and NOx emissions were found to increase by up to 20% and 5.5% respectively. Fuel consumption rose by 5% for a B50 blend – a larger than expected increase when considering differences in calorific values alone.
CitationBannister, C., Hawley, J., Ali, H., Chuck, C. et al., "Quantifying the Effects of Biodiesel Blend Ratio, at Varying Ambient Temperatures, on Vehicle Performance and Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1893, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1893.
- Schuchardt U. Sercheli R. R. Vargas M. Transesterification of vegetable oils: a review J Braz ChemSoc 1998 9 199 210
- Freedman B. Butterfield R. O. Pryde E. H. Transesterification kinetics of soybean oil J Am Oil ChemSoc 1986 63 1375 80
- Renewable Fuels Agency Renewable Fuels Digest 1 August 2008
- Knothe G. Van Gerpen J. Krahl J. The Biodiesel Handbook Illinois AOCS Press 2005
- Schonborn A. Ladommatos N. Effect of the Molecular Structure of Individual Fatty Acid Alcohol Esters (Biodiesel) on the Formation of NO x and Particulate Matter in the Diesel Combustion Process SAE Technical Paper Series, 2008-01-1578 2008
- Lapuerta M. Armas O. Rodriguez-Fernandez J. Effect of the degree of unsaturation of biodiesel fuels on NO x and Particulate emissions SAE Technical Paper Series, 2008-01-1676 2008
- Wang J. Neely G.D. Ryan T.W. On-Board Fuel Property Classifier for Fuel Property Adaptive Engine Control System SAE Technical Paper Series, 2006-01-0054 2006
- Strong C Erickson C. Shukla D. Evaluation of Biodiesel Fuel: Literature Review Western Transportation Institute College of Engineering Montana State University January 2004
- Allen C. A. W. Watts K. C Ackman R. G. Pegg M. J. Predicting the viscosity of biodiesel fuels from their fatty acid ester composition Fuel 1999 78 1319 1326
- Faria M. D. C da Cunha Pinto R. R. Valle M. L. M. The Influence of physico-chemical Properties of Diesel/Biodiesel Mixtures on Atomization quality in Direct Injection Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper Series, 2005-01-4154 2005
- Gongping M. Zhong W. Dianyong Y. Yinnan Y. Numerical Simulation and Experimental Research on the Free Spray Characteristics of Bio-diesel Fuel SAE Technical Paper Series, 2008-01-1598 2008
- Postrioti L Grimaldi C. N. Ceccobello M. Di Gioia R. Diesel Common Rail Injection System Behavior with Different Fuels SAE Technical Paper Series, 2004-01-0029 2004
- Lapuerta M. Armas O. Rodriguez-Fernandez J. Effect of biodiesel fuels on diesel emissions Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 10 July 2007
- Ertunc Tat M Investigation of Oxides of Nitrogen Emissions from biodiesel Fuelled Engines Iowa state University Ames 2003
- Zhang Y. Boehman A. (The Energy Institute, Pennsylvania State University). Impact of Biodiesel on NO x Emissions in a Common Rail Direct Injection Diesel Engine Energy & Fuels 2007 21 2003 2012
- Alam M. Song J. Zello V. Boehman A. (Energy Institute, Pennsylvania State University). Spray and combustion visualization of a direct-injection diesel engine operated with oxygenated fuel blends Int. J. Engines Res. 7 IMechE 2006
- Sanjeev M. Suhas K. Winfried D. Stefan K. On Road Testing of Advanced Common Rail Diesel Vehicles with Biodiesel from the Jatropha Curcas plant SAE Paper 2005-26-356
- Sawidis D. Triandafyllis J. Grammatikis V. Gkatzianis G. Katopodis S. Influence of Various Blends Cottonseed Methylester Biodiesel on Steady State Emissions Using an Old Technology Ford Escort on a Chassis Dynamometer SAE Paper 2007-01-4062
- Karavalakis G. Tzirakis E. Zannikos F. Stournas S. Bakeas E. Arapaki N. Spanos A. Diesel/Soy Methyl Ester Blends Emissions Profile from a Passenger Vehicle Operated on the European and the Athens Driving Cycle SAE Paper 2007-01-4043
- McGill R. Storey J. Wagner R. Irick D. Aakko P. Westerholm M. Olof Nylund N. Lappi M. Emission Performance of Selected Biodiesel Fuels SAE Paper 2003-01-1866