This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Low Emission Engines: Advantages on the Use of Radiotracer Techniques for the Development of Modern Engines and Lubricants
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
New environmental regulations require significant reduction of fuel consumption and engine emissions. This implies improvement of the internal combustion (I.C.) process, reduction of friction, development of complex after-treatment systems, and a reduction of oil consumption. New technical challenges are related to fuel dilution problems in diesel and super-ethanol engines; new wear problems are due to fuel dilution and soot loading in the lubricant; clogging and poisoning problems of after-treatment systems are related to oil consumption, etc. Therefore, researchers and engineers need appropriate tools to better understand and solve these new problems. The paper focuses on the combination of modern engine test beds equipped with innovative radionuclide techniques for real-time oil consumption, oil aeration, fuel dilution, and for on-line wear measurement. Improved methods for engine and lubricant testing are presented, which allow reducing significantly test durations while reaching high sensitivities of milligrams in term of oil consumption, of nanometres in terms of wear measurement, and of less than 0.1% in terms of oil dilution and oil aeration.
CitationDelvigne, T., Courtois, O., China, P., Lovine, R. et al., "Low Emission Engines: Advantages on the Use of Radiotracer Techniques for the Development of Modern Engines and Lubricants," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1873, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1873.
- Schneider E.W. Blossfeld, D.H. “Real-time Measurement of Camshaft in an Automotive Engine, a Radiometric Method” 902085 SAE Technical paper 1990
- Gauthier Alain Delvigne, Thierry “Soot Induced Cam Wear in Diesel Engines, An Investigation Using Thin Layer Activation” SAE 2000-01-1990
- Delvigne, T. Deconninck, B. Obiols, J. China, P. Carlier, P. “A New Methodology for On-line Lubricant Consumption Measurement” SAE paper 2005-01-2172 2005
- Deconninck, B. Delvigne, T. Courtois, O. Dequenne, B. Mayeur, V. Obiols, J. “A new methodology for on-line oil dilution” SAE paper 2005-01-2170 2005
- Obiols, J. China, P. Sibue, L. Delvigne, T. Deconninck, B. Courtois, O. Carlier, P. Beziat, J.C. Da-Silva, M. “An innovative on-line measurement method for studying the impact of lubricant formulations on poisoning and clogging of after-treatment devices” SAE paper 2005-01-2178 2005
- Doyen, V. Drijfholt, R.K. Delvigne, T. “Advanced applied Research Unravelling the Fundamentals of 2-Stroke engine Cylinder Lubrication – An innovative on-line measurement based on the use of radiotracers” International Council on Combustion Engines, paper n°61, CIMAC Congress, Vienna 2007
- Deconninck, B. Delvigne, T. “Air-X, an Innoivative Device for On-line Oil Aeration Measurement in Running Engines” JSAE paper 20030097