This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Zero-dimensional Model and Pressure Data Analysis of a Variable-Displacement Lubricating Vane Pump
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A zero-dimensional dynamic model was developed in the Matlab/Simulink® environment to predict the behaviour of a variable-displacement lubricating vane pump for internal combustion engine applications. Based on the geometric and kinematic characteristics of the pump, the model allows predictions of the pressure evolution in each chamber of the pump and in the delivery piping, by employing an integrative-derivative approach. Simulation results were compared with experimental data of pressure transducers, which were fitted along the periphery of the pump case and in the delivery channel. The analysis of the experimental data shows that the pressure dynamics, which is experienced by the transducers, is in some cases quite different from the pressure dynamics in the pump chambers and produces pressure peaks which are not actually present in the original signal. The pressure transducers output was then also modelled in order to properly compare simulation results and experimental data.
CitationBarbarelli, S., Bova, S., and Piccione, R., "Zero-dimensional Model and Pressure Data Analysis of a Variable-Displacement Lubricating Vane Pump," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1859, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1859.
- Mancò, S., Nervegna, N., Rundo, M., Armenio, G.: “Displacement vs Flow Control in IC Engines Lubrificating Pumps,” SAE paper 2004-01-1602. 2004 SAE International Congress and Exposition, Detroit, March 8–11, 2004.
- Fabiani, M., Mancò, S., Nervegna, N., Rundo, M.: “Modelling and Simulation of Gerotor Gearing in Lubricating Oil Pumps”, SAE paper 1999-01-0626. 1999 SAE International Congress and Exposition, Detroit, March 1–4, 1999. SAE Transactions, Journal of Engines, 1999.
- Mancò, S., Nervegna, N., Rundo, M., Armenio, G.: “Modelling and Simulation of Variable Displacement Vane Pumps for IC Engine Lubrication”, SAE paper 2004-01-1601. 2004 SAE International Congress and Exposition, Detroit, March 8–11, 2004.
- Nishiumi, T., Konami, S., Maeda, T.: “Jumping Phenomenon of the Dual Vane in a Variable Displacement Vane Pump”, 5th Triennial International Symposium on Fluid Control, Measurement and Visualization, Hayama, Japan, 1–4 September 1997.
- HPE (HIGH PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING s.r.l) Modena, Italy, http://www.hpe.eu/
- O.M.P. (OFFICINE MAZZOCCO PAGNONI S.r.l.) – Funo, BO, Italy, http://www.omppumps.com.
- Bianchini A., Ferrara G., Ferrari L., Paltrinieri F., Tosetti F., Milani M. “Design and Optimization of a Variable Displacement Vane Pump for High Performance IC Engine Lubrication” Part 1 - Experimental Analysis of the Circumferential Pressure Distribution with Dynamic Pressure Sensors,” SAE Paper 09PFL-0308, SAE International Congress and Exposition, Detroit 2009.
- Doebelin, E. O., Measurement System. Application and Design, McGraw-Hill International Editions, 1990.