This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simultaneous Measurements of the Components of VOCs and PAHs in Diesel Exhaust Gas using a Laser Ionization Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A simple real-time measurement system for the components of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in automobile exhaust gas using a laser ionization method was developed. This method was used to detect VOCs and PAHs in the exhaust gas of a diesel truck while idling, at 60 km/h, and in the Japanese driving mode JE05. As a result, various VOCs and PAHs, such as xylene and naphthalene, were simultaneously detected, and real-time changes in their concentration were obtained at 1 s intervals.
- Kentaro Misawa - Tokyo Institute of Technology
- Jun Matsumoto - Tokyo Institute of Technology
- Shunichi Ishiuchi - Tokyo Institute of Technology
- Masaaki Fujii - Tokyo Institute of Technology
- Koichi Tanaka - Toyama, Inc.
- Jun Nakagawa - Toyama, Inc.
- Katsumi Endo - Toyama, Inc.
- Shunichi Hayashi - Nippon Steel Corp.
- Kotaro Tanaka - National Traffic Safety and Environment laboratory
- Keitaro Watanabe - National Traffic Safety and Environment laboratory
- Hiroyuki Yamada - National Traffic Safety and Environment laboratory
- Yuichi Goto - National Traffic Safety and Environment laboratory
CitationTanaka, K., Watanabe, K., Yamada, H., Goto, Y. et al., "Simultaneous Measurements of the Components of VOCs and PAHs in Diesel Exhaust Gas using a Laser Ionization Method," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1842, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1842.
- Abe, S. Takizawa, H. Sugawara, I. Kudoh, S. Diesel Exhausts Induced Cytokine Expression in Human Bronchial Epithelial Cells: A Study with a New Cell Exposure System to Freshly Generated Diesel Exhaust Vitro. Am. J. Respir. Cell. Mol. Biol. 2000 22 296 303
- International Agency for Research on Cancer HP http://monographs.iarc.fr/
- Duan, J. Tan, J. Yang, L. Wu, S. Hao, J. Concentration, Sources and Ozone Formation Potential of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) during Ozone Episode in Beijing Atoms, Research 2008 88 1 25 35
- Tokyo metropolitan Government HP http://www2.kankyo.metro.tokyo.jp/kaizen/keikaku/oxidant/index.htm
- Boesl, U. Zimmermann, R. Weickhardt, C. Lenoir, D. Schramm, K, W. Kettrup, A. Schlag, E, W. Isomer-Selective Ionization of Chlorinated Aromatics with Lasers for Analytical Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometry: First Results for Polychlorinated Dibenzo-p-Dioxins (PCDD), Biphenyls (PCB) and Benzenes (PCBZ) Chemosphere 1994 29 9 1877
- Imasaka, T. Moore, D, S. Vo-dinh, T. CRITICAL ASSESSMENT: USE OF SUPERSONIC JET SPECTROMETRY FOR COMPLEX MIXTURE ANALYSIS (IUPAC Technical Report) Pure Appl. Chem. 2003 75 7 975 998
- Suzuki, T. Hayashi, S. Ishiuchi, S. Saeki, M. Fujii, M. A New, Highly Sensitive Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometer Consisting of a Flangeon-type Conical Ion Lens System and a Proto-type Daly Detector for Exhaust Gas Analysis Based on the Jet - REMPI Technique Anal. Sciences 2005 21 991 996
- Takeda, A. Andrei, H. Miyazaki, M. Ishiuchi, S. Sakai, M. Fujii, M. Dopfer, O. IR signature of phenol+-Kr cluster cations: evidence for photoionization-induced H isomerization Chem. Phys. Lett. 2007 443 4 227 231
- Boesl, U. Weickhardt, C. Zimmermann, R. Schmidt, S. Nagel, H. Fast Exhaust Gas Probe for Multicomponent Analysis: Scientific/Technical Principle SAE Technical Paper, 930083
- Frey, R. Nagel, H. Franzen, J. Rikeit, H-E. Time-Resolved Measurement of Individual Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Automotive Exhaust at Transient Engine Operation SAE Technical Paper, 951053
- Nagel, H. Frey, R. Boesl, U. On-Line Analysis of Formaldehyde and Acetaldehyde in Non-Stationary Engine Operation Using Laser Mass Spectroscopy SAE Technical Paper, 961084
- Puffel, P K. Thiel, W. Frey, R. Boesl, U. A New Method for the Investigation of Unburned Oil Emissions in the Raw Exhaust of SI Engines SAE Technical Paper, 982438
- Gohl, M. Matz, G. Ollesch, T. Puffel, P. Development and Application of a New Mass Spectrometer Based Measurement System for Fast Online Monitoring of Oil Emission in the Raw Exhaust Gas of Combustion Engines SAE Technical Paper, 2002-01-2713
- Misawa, K. Matsumoto, J. Yamato, Y. Mae, S. Ishiuchi, S. Fujii, M. Tanaka, K. Suzuki, T. Hayashi, S. Yamada, H. Goto, Y. Real-Time and Direct Measurement of Pollutants in Exhaust Gas Utilizing Supersonic Jet/Resonance Enhaced Multi-Photon Ionization SAE Technical Paper, 2008-01-0761
- Suzaki. K Misawa. K Yamada. H Goto. Y Matsumoto. J Yamato. Y Ishiuchi. S Fujii. M Tanaka. K Endo. K Hayashi. S Time-resolved Measurements of the Aromatic Hydrocarbon Content in Exhaust Gas Using a Resonance Enhanced Multi-Photon Ionization Method J. Engine. Research
- Ogawa. T Fuel Effects on Particulate Emission from D. I. Engine Part 3. Precise Analytical Methods of Diesel Fuel TOYOTA CENTRAL R&D LABS. INC. R&D Review of TOYOTA CRDL 33 3 1998
- Shukla. B Susa. A Miyoshi. A Koshi. M In Situ Direct Sampling Mass Spectrometric Study on Formation of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Toluene Pyrolysis J. Phys. Chem. A. 2007 111 8308 8324
- Shukla. B Doctoral Thesis The University of Tokyo 2008