This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Durability of Dual Clutch Transmission Fluids
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This report focuses on an extended investigation of the durability of Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) fluids. The performance requirements of DCT fluids differ from those of traditional step automatic transmission fluids. For that reason, key performance lab tests are discussed in this paper. Friction durability is measured with a modified version of the JASO M348 SAE#2 friction plate test. In addition, results from a vehicle chassis dynamometer test are discussed. This test involves running a 2008 Volkswagen GTI for 60,000 dynamometer miles (42,000 cycles) of severe acceleration and high speed conditions. Finally, a new DCT fluid, which performs well in these tests, offers friction stability and superior wear protection of transmission hardware, when compared to the commercial reference fluid.
CitationTersigni, S., Tang, H., Iyer, R., Cleveland, C. et al., "Durability of Dual Clutch Transmission Fluids," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1801, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1801.
- Wheals J.C. Turner A. Ramsey K. O'Neill A. Bennett J. Fang H. “Double Clutch Transmission (DCT) using Multiplexed Linear Actuation Technology and Dry Clutches for High Efficiency and Low Cost,” SAE paper 2007-01-1096
- Matthes B. “Dual Clutch Transmissions - Lessons Learned and Future Potential,” SAE paper 2005-01-1021
- Amendola C. Alves M. “Gear shift strategies analysis of the automatic transmission in comparison with the double clutch transmission,” SAE paper 2006-01-2872
- Razzacki S. Hottenstein J. “Synchronizer Design and Development for Dual Clutch Transmissions (DCT),” SAE paper 2007-01-0114
- Newcomb T. Tipton C. Jao T-C. “Automatic Transmission and Driveline Fluids,” SAE paper 2007-01-3988
- Box, G. Hunter, W. Hunter, J. Statistics for Experimenters Wiley and Sons 1975 New York, New York
- Srinivasan S. Sunne J. Smith D. Stinnett D. “Predictions of Anti-Shudder Performance of ATFs in CSTCC-Equipped Vehicles Using the Low-Speed SAE#2 Machine,” Proceedings of the 11 th International Colloquium on Tribology Esslingen, Germany 1998
- Cameron T. McCombs T. Devlin M. Tersigni S. Jao T-C “Automatic Transmission Fluid Friction Properties and Shifting Clutch Vibration,” SAE paper 2004-01-3027
- Cameron T. Tersigni S. McCombs T. Jao T-C. “Effects of ATF Friction Properties on Shudder in Slipping Torque Converter Clutches,” Proceedings of the 14 th International Colloquium on Tribology Esslingen, Germany 2004
- Cameron T. Jao T-C. Tersigni S. McCombs T. “ATF Friction Effects on Stability in Slip-Controlled Torque Converter Clutches,” SAE paper 2003-01-3255
- Tersigni S. Henly T. Iyer R. Cleveland C. Jones M. Yatsunami K. “New Durability Testing of Dual Clutch Transmission Fluids,” SAE paper 2008-01-0250
- Fuels & Lubricants Group at GM Powertrain Pontiac, MI