This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Robustness-Focused Shape Optimization Method for Intake Ports
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Merging a CAE shape optimization system and a concept Taguchi method SN-ratio index, a robustness-focused automated shape optimization method has been developed. Applying this method to diesel intake ports, with mold position tolerance set as the error factor, SN-ratio was defined for swirl stability. As a result of the optimization provided by a multi-objective genetic algorithm, simultaneous improvement of flux, swirl rotation and SN ratio was achieved.
CitationKawaguchi, A., Aiba, T., Takada, N., and Ona, K., "A Robustness-Focused Shape Optimization Method for Intake Ports," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1777, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1777.
- Taguchi, G. System of Experimental Design UNIPUB/ Kraus International Publications 1987
- Taguchi, G. Taguchi on Robust Technology Development ASME Press 1993
- Obayashi, S. Takanashi, S. “Genetic Optimization of Target Pressure Distributions for Inverse Design Methods” AIAA Journal 34 5 881 886 1996
- Affes H. Trigui N. Smith D. Griaznov V. “Shape Optimization of IC Engine Ports and Chambers” SAE Paper No. 980127 1998
- Shrivastava, R. Hessel, R. Reitz, R.D. “CFD Optimization of DI Diesel Engine Performance and Emissions Using Variable Intake Valve Actuation with Boost Pressure, EGR and Multiple Injections.” SAE Paper 2002-01-0959 2002
- Mattarelli E. Borghi M. Balestrazzi D. Fontanesi S. “The Influence of Swirl Control Strategies on the Intake Flow in Four Valve HSDI Diesel Engines” SAE Paper No. 2004-01-0112 2004
- Poloni, C. Pediroda V. “GA coupled with computationally expensive simulations: tools to improve efficiency” Genetic Algorithms and Evolution Strategies in Engineering and Computer Science 267 288 John Wiley and Sons 1997
- Zuelch Stefan Behnk Kai Deepe Roland Findeisen Bernd Seidel Thomas Stiegler Lutz Sommer Ansgar “A New Hardware-Assisted Inlet Port Development Process for Diesel Engines Using Doppler Global Velocimetry” SAE Paper No. 2005-01-0640 2005
- Zottin Walter Cuco Ana Paula Curty dos Reis Marcus Vinícius F. da Silva Rodrigo Ferraz A. F. “Application of Optimization Techniques in the Design of Engine Components” SAE Paper No. 2008-01-0219 2008