This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Occupant Friction Coefficients on Various Combinations of Seat and Clothing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 11, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reports on tests conducted to determine static and dynamic coefficients of friction between occupant clothing and automotive seat upholstery materials. Multiple materials were used for both the occupants clothing and the seat upholstery to examine friction variations with various material combinations.
A fixture was fabricated to hold an automotive seat stationary while a dummy was pulled forward off of the seat. The forces required to pull the dummy were recorded for the various upholstery and clothing materials and the coefficients of friction were determined.
CitationCummings, J., Osterholt, G., Van Calhoun, D., and Biller, B., "Occupant Friction Coefficients on Various Combinations of Seat and Clothing," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1672, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1672.
- Deng Y. 1988 “Analytical Study of the Interaction Between the Seat Belt and a Hybrid III Dummy in Sled Tests.” SAE 880648
- Human Factors Research Unit, I. o. S. a. V. R., University of Southampton 2006 Anthropodynamic Dummy [Brochure]
- Kim S. K. White S. W. et al. 2003 “Simplified models of the vibration of mannequins in car seats.” Journal of Sound and Vibration 264 1 49 90
- Lewis C. H. Griffin M. J. 2002 “EVALUATING THE VIBRATION ISOLATION OF SOFT SEAT CUSHIONS USING AN ACTIVE ANTHROPODYNAMIC DUMMY.” Journal of Sound and Vibration 253 1 295 311
- Patten W. N. Sha S. et al. 1998 “A Vibration Model of Open Celled Polyurethane Foam Automotive Seat Cushions.” Journal of Sound and Vibration 217 1 145 161
- Tornvall F. V. Svensson M. Y. et al. 2005 “Frontal Impact Dummy Kinematics in Oblique Frontal Collisions: Evaluation Against Post Mortem Human Subject Test Data.” Traffic Injury Prevention 6 4 340 350
- Toward M. 2000 Use of Anthropodynamic Dummy to Measure Seat Dynamics. 35th United Kingdom Meeting on Human Responses to Vibration
- Verver M. M. de Lange R. et al. 2005 “Aspects of seat modeling for seating comfort analysis.” Applied Ergonomics 36 1 33 4
- Warner C. Y. 1991 “Occupant Protection in Rear-end Collisions: II. The Role of Seat Back Deformation in Injury Reduction.” SAE 912914 379 390
- Iwamoto M. et al. 2002 “Development of a Finite Element Model of the Total Human Model for Safety (THUMS) and Application to Injury Reconstruction.” IRCOBI 2
- Howard R. P. Hatsell C.P. Raddin J.H. 1999 “Initial Occupant Kinematics in the High Velocity Vehicle Rollover.” SAE 1999-01-3231