This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Innovative Water Separation Technology and Electrostatic Discharge System Developed and Validated for the Diesel Fuel Filtration Module of the Ford F-Series Next Generation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A significant increase of diesel vehicles commercialization is expected in North America in the next years, especially in Full Size segments (Pick Up, CUV, SUV, Van, …) and new high performances common rail turbo charged diesel engines are in development with excellent balance between power, torque and fuel consumption.
New diesel fuels as Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel and Bio Diesel Blends (2% to 20%) are now a reality in US gas stations to help to reach EPA emissions targets and CO2 foot prints of vehicles but these new fuels are showing undesired impacts on fuel line and fuel injection system components as deposits or corrosion and seizing risks.
The fuel filter is THE safety component of the diesel fuel line by cleaning the fuel from particles, water droplets and other organic contaminants and is by this way one of the most impacted by new fuels.
SOGEFI Filter Division has been selected by Ford to develop the diesel fuel conditioning module of the F-Series next generation and has created an innovative product combining European top-ranking filtration technologies with specific solutions dedicated to North American needs of water separation and electrostatic charges dissipation that are presented in this paper.
CitationPetiteaux, M., "Innovative Water Separation Technology and Electrostatic Discharge System Developed and Validated for the Diesel Fuel Filtration Module of the Ford F-Series Next Generation," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1459, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1459.
- EN590 European Diesel Fuel Standard
- ASTM D975 Diesel Fuel Standard
- Fuel Water Challenges for High Pressure Commun Rail Systems Verdegan B. Martin H. Goodlund T. AFS Annual Conference 2007
- A new standard test method to evaluate water separation efficiency of diesel fuel filters Peuchot C. Zanota MI. Petillon N. Filtrex 2006
- Control of Air Pollution From New Motor Vehicles Revision to Motor Vehicle Diesel Fuel Sulfur Transition Provisions; and Technical Amendments to the Highway Diesel, Nonroad Diesel, and Tier 2 Gazoline Programs, Federal Register November 22 2005 70 224
- Overcome emulsified water filtration problem in ULSD through stringent test methodology and new media design Chuanfang Y. AFS 2007
- Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Summary Winkler H. 2006 Chevron Presentation
- Diesel engine development I consideration of future fuel trends Fischer M. 7 th Advanced Diesel Engine Technology Symposium 2007
- Investigation into the Formation and Prevention of Internal Diesel Injector Deposits Ullmann J. Geduldig M. Stutzenberger H. Caprotti R. Balfour G. SAE 2008-01-0926
- Impact of Biodiesel Blends on Fuel Filters Functions Laboratory and Field Tests Results Petiteaux M. Monsallier G. SIA Diesel Engine Conference 2007
- National Biodiesel Board Biodiesel Facts Sheets Electrical Conductivity of Biodiesel