This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Multiple Injection Strategies on Emission and Combustion Characteristics in a Single Cylinder Direct-Injection Optical Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effect of multiple injections in a heavy-duty diesel engine was investigated by focusing on single-pilot injection and double-pilot injection strategies with a wide injection timing range, various injection quantity ratios, and various dwell times. Combustion characteristics were studied through flame visualization and heat release analyses as well as emissions tests.
Single-pilot injection resulted in a dramatic reduction in nitrogen oxide and smoke emissions when the injection timing was advanced over 40° CA before the start of injection (BSOI) due to combustion with partially premixed charge compression ignition. A brown-colored flame area, which indicates a very fuel-rich mixture region, was rarely detected when more fuel was injected during single-pilot injection. However, hydrocarbon emission increased up to intolerable levels because fuel wetting on the cylinder wall increased. When double-pilot injection was applied, nitrogen oxide and smoke emissions were lowered by up to 73% and 84%, respectively, compared with single-injection. This result implies that double-pilot injection induced a better premixed mixture due to an improved turbulent effect between the two pilot injections. Furthermore, hydrocarbon emission was reduced by 50% compared with single-pilot injection because the spray tip penetration of double pilot injection was shortened, which resulted in a reduced amount of wall-wetted fuel. Images from the double-pilot injection experiment revealed that the diffusion burn portion was decreased and the luminosity intensity was the weakest among all the other experimental conditions.
CitationLee, J., Jeon, J., Park, J., and Bae, C., "Effect of Multiple Injection Strategies on Emission and Combustion Characteristics in a Single Cylinder Direct-Injection Optical Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1354, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1354.
- Heywood J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals Mcgraw-Hill New York 1988
- Johnson Timothy V. 2001 Diesel Emission Control in Review SAE Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants 110 4
- Nehmer D. A. Reitz Rolf D. 1994 Measurement of the Effect of Injection Rate and Split Injections on Diesel Engine Soot and NOx emissions SAE Transactions Journal of Engines 103 3
- Han Zhiyu Uludogan Ali Hampson Gregory J. Reitz Rolf D. 1996 Mechanism of Soot and NOx Emission Reduction Using Multiple-Injection in a Diesel Engine SAE Transactions Journal of Engines 105 3
- Tow T. C. Peripont D. A. Reitz R. D. Reducing Particulate and NOx emissions by Using Multiple Injections in a Heavy Duty D.I. Diesel Engine International SAE Congress & Exposition 940897 1994
- Babu A. K. Devaradgane G. Control of Diesel Engine Pollutants by Split Injection Method Using Multizone Model SAE Small Engine Technology Conference 2001-28-0007 2001
- Park C Kook S. Bae C Effects of Multiple Injections in a HSDI Diesel Engine Equipped with Common-Rail Injection System SAE World Congress & Exhibition 2004-01-0127 2004
- Kastner O. Atzler F. Muller A. Weigand A. Wenzlawski K. Zellbeck H. Multiple Injection Strategies and their Effect on Pollutant Emission in Passenger Car Diesel Engines THIESEL 2006 Conference on Thermo- and Fluid Dynamic Processed in Diesel Engines 2006
- Ehleskog R. Ochoterena R. L. Andersson S. Effects of Multiple Injections on Engine-Out Emission Levels Including Particulate Mass from a HSDI Diesel Engine SAE World Congress & Exhibition 2007-01-0910 2007
- Okude K. Mori Kazutoshi Shiino S. Yamada K. Matsumoto Y. Effects of Multiple Injections on Diesel Emissions and Combustion Characteristics SAE Commercial Vehicle Engineering Congress & Exhibition, 2007-01-4178 2007
- Su T. F. Patterson M. A. Reitz R. D. Farrell P. V. 1996 Experimental and Numerical Studies of High Pressure Multiple Injection Sprays SAE Transactions Journal of Engines 105 3
- Zhang Yuyin Keiya Nishida 2003 Vapor/liquid Behaviors in Split-Injection D.I. Diesel Sprays in a 2-D Model Combustion Chamber SAE Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants 112 4
- Werlberger P. Carterlllieri W. P. Fuel Injection and Combustion Phenomena in a High Speed DI Diesel Engine Observed by Means of Endoscopic High Speed Photography International SAE Congress and Exposition SAE Paper 870097 1987
- Mueller C. J. Martin G. C. Briggs T. E. Duffy K. P. An Experimental Investigation of In-Cylinder Processes Under Dual-Injection Conditions in a DI Diesel Engine SAE Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition 2004-01-1843 2004
- Okude K. Mori K. Shiino S. Moriya T. Premixed Compression Ignition (PCI) Combustion for Simultaneous Reduction of NOx and Soot in Diesel Engine SAE Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition 2004-01-1909 2004
- Hardy William L. Reitz Rolf D. 2006 An Experimental Investigation of Partially Premixed Combustion Strategies Using Multiple injections in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Transactions Journal of Engines 115 3
- Kook Sanghoon Bae Choongsik 2004 Combustion Control Using Two-Stage Diesel Fuel Injection in a Single-Cylinder PCCI Engine SAE Transactions Journal of Engines 113 3
- Shimazaki Naoki Tsurushima Tadashi Nishimura Terukazu 2003 Dual Mode Combustion Concept With Premixed Diesel Combustion by Direct Injection Near Top Dead Center SAE Transactions Journal of Engines 112 3
- Eastwood P. G. Morris T. Tufail K Winstanley T. Hardalupas Y. Taylor A. M. K. P. The Effects of Fuel-Injection Schedules on Emissions of NOx and Smoke in a Diesel Engine during Partial-Premix Combustion SAE International Conference on Internal Combustion Engine 2007-24-0011 2007
- Nicolas D. Marc L Iyad B Pascal H Combination of High EGR Rates and Multiple Injection strategies to Reduce Pollutant Emissions SAE Powertrain & Fluid Systems Conference & Exhibition 2005-01-3726 2005
- EL-Hannouny E. M. Lee T. W. Farrell P. V. Reitz R. D. An Experimental and Numerical Study of Injector Behavior for HSDI Diesel Engine SAE 2003 World Congress & Exhibition 2003-01-0705 2003