This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Techniques for Improved Correlation Between Constant Volume and Partial Flow Sample Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A partial-flow sampling system, namely a Bag Mini-Diluter (BMD) is an accepted alternative to Constant Volume Sampling (CVS) for obtaining mass emissions in a chassis test cell. Our equipment delivers equivalent CVS and BMD emission results with gasoline engines of 2.0 to 5.6 liter displacement. However, while testing a vehicle with a 1.3 liter engine, CVS and BMD CO2 mass differences greater than 9% were observed during cold-start tests. This paper describes the modifications made to obtain BMD and CVS mass emissions that match within 2% during cold-start tests with a 1.3 liter vehicle.
CitationNevius, T., Porter, S., Rauker, D., and Rooney, R., "Techniques for Improved Correlation Between Constant Volume and Partial Flow Sample Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1351, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1351.
- Transient Vehicle Exhaust Flow Measurement Techniques. Nevius T. Rauker D. Rooney R. Asano I. Tsurumi K. SAE. 2006-01-1360
- A Study of the Variability of Five Separate Bag Mini-Diluters and Exhaust Flow Meters Nevius T. Rauker D. Rooney R. SAE 2006-01-1513
- ERC Technical Report: The Bag Mini-Diluter Alternative to CVS Sampling, Environmental Research Consortium May 1 2001
- Refinement of a Bag Mini-Diluter System Guenther M. Landry M. Sherman M. Brown K. Wu D. SAE 2001-01-0212
- Evaluation of Improved Bag Mini-Diluter System for Low Level Emission Measurements Hill J. Nagy D. DeCarteret S. SAE 2002-01-0047
- Full Flow and Partial Flow Dilution Systems for Emission Measurement- A Comparison Regarding Sulev Levels Krenn M. Silvis W. M. Gruber D. SAE 2001-01-3946
- Advanced Emissions Test Site for Confident Pzev Measurement Guenther M. Vaillancourt M. Sherman M. Carpenter D. Rooney R. Porter S. SAE 2002-01-0046
- Predicting and Preventing Water Condensation in Sampled Vehicle Exhaust for Optimal CVS Dilution Hood J. F. Silvis W. M. SAE 980404
- Exhaust Flow Meter Calibration Guenther M. Polster M. Wroza L. SAE 2004-01-1442
- Dynamometer and On-Board Emissions Testing of the Honda Insight and Toyota Prius Nam E. Ensfield C. SAE 2005-01-0681
- A Comparison of Direct Fuel Consumption Measurements with Simultaneous CVS Carbon-Balance Fuel Economy. Nevius T. Cai G. Porter S. Rooney R. SAE 2008-36-0274