This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Applying Lean Manufacturing Principles & Tools to Laboratory Operations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Lean manufacturing has greatly changed the way many companies produce products. Lessons learned in lean manufacturing are being applied to many non-manufacturing situations including design, logistics, and transactional processes. Such tools can be applied to metallurgical laboratories which support daily production or design and development. Four key principles of lean management and nine tools are presented with specific examples demonstrating how these lean tools can be successfully applied to a metallurgical laboratory operations. These principles and tools have been successfully implemented by the author in a captive metallurgical laboratory over the last year resulting in reduced cycle time, higher productivity, less variation in analysis methods allowing for direct comparison of data over time, and improved quality.
|Supplier Quality Engineering and Lean Manufacturing Integration
|Kaizen Through Heijunka Production (Leveled Production)
|Breakthrough Machining Technology for the Automotive Industry
CitationVinarcik, E., "Applying Lean Manufacturing Principles & Tools to Laboratory Operations," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1191, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1191.
- Ford H. My Life and Work Garden City Publishing Company 1922
- Ford H. Today and Tomorrow Doubleday 1926
- Dinero D. Training within Industry Productivity Press 2005
- Ohno T. Toyota Seisan Hoshiki Diamond 1978
- Shingo S. A Study of the Toyota Production System from an Industrial Engineering Viewpoint Japanese Management Association 1981
- Monden Y. Toyota Production System - Practical Approach to Production Management Institute of Industrial Engineers 1983
- Womak J. Jones D. The Machine That Changed the World: The Story of Lean Production Harper Perennial 1991
- Womak J. Jones D. Lean Thinking - Banish Waste and Create Wealth in Your Corporation Simon & Schuster 1996
- Keyte B. Locher D. The Complete Lean Enterprise: Value Stream Mapping For Administrative And Office Processes Productivity Press 2004
- Womak J. Jones D. Lean Solutions: How Companies and Customers Can Create Value and Wealth Together Free Press 2005