This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of Innovative PVD Coating to Stamping Dies for Processing Ultra-High Tensile Strength Steel Sheets
- Tsuyoshi Tonomura - Nippon Koshuha Steel Co. Ltd ,
- Junji Yoshida - Nippon Koshuha Steel Co. Ltd ,
- Kenji Yamamoto - Kobe Steel Ltd ,
- Susumu Kujime - Kobe Steel Ltd ,
- Tatsuya Yasunaga - Kobe Steel Ltd ,
- Koichiro Akari - Kobe Steel Ltd ,
- Yoshinobu Hosokawa - KOBAC, KOBELCO Advanced Coating America Inc ,
- Kazuki Takahara - KOBAC, KOBELCO Advanced Coating America Inc
ISSN: 1946-3979, e-ISSN: 1946-3987
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Citation: Yamamoto, K., Kujime, S., Yasunaga, T., Akari, K. et al., "Application of Innovative PVD Coating to Stamping Dies for Processing Ultra-High Tensile Strength Steel Sheets," SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 2(1):461-464, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1170.
A novel nitride based coating system (BELCOAT-SS) was developed for the stamping dies for ultra high-tensile strength steel. It is characterized by an excellent wear resistance and low deposition temperature compare to the conventional diffusion coatings such as VC or TiC. High temperature wear test indicate that the wear rate of the new coating is 2 to 10 lower than conventional diffusion coatings. The result of stamping test using ultra-high tensile steel sheets indicate that life time of the die can be prolonged by the factor of at least 5 to 10 times.