This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD Study Concerning the Influence of the Underbody Components on Total Drag for a SUV
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The aerodynamic characteristics of a vehicle have a significant role on its dynamics performances, fuel consumption, level of produced noise etc. In this sense the automotive engineers design vehicle having some much elaborated exterior shape, the main goal being the reduction of drag. But, in many cases, the geometry of the underbody was neglected from this point of view, especially in the cases of the off-road vehicles, which have recently become more versatile, as seen in Sport Utility Vehicles (SUV). In this paper, using a SUV as example, the contribution of the underbody geometry on total drag is studied using the facilities offered by a professional CFD code. The results show that solutions for the optimization of the body of vehicles from an aerodynamic point of view can be obtained even in a very early design stage, accelerating the design process.
CitationHuminic, A. and Huminic, G., "CFD Study Concerning the Influence of the Underbody Components on Total Drag for a SUV," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1157, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1157.
- Hucho, W,. H. Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles Fourth Edition SAE International Warrendale 1998
- Scibor, R. “Road Vehicle Aerodynamics” Pentech Press London 1979
- Sumantran, V. Sovran, G. “Vehicle Aerodynamics” PT-49 SAE International 1996
- Buchheim, R. Deutenbach, K. Lueckoff, H. Necessity and Premises for Reducing the Aerodynamic Drag of Future Passenger Cars SAE paper 810185 1981
- Huminic, A. Huminic, G. “On the Aerodynamics of the Racing Cars” SAE 2008 World Automotive Congress, Detroit, USA, paper 2008-01-0099
- Huminic A. Chiru A. “On CFD Investigations of Vehicle Aerodynamics with Rotating Wheels’ Simulation” SAE 2006, World Automotive Congress, Detroit, USA, paper 2006-01-0804
- Huminic, A. Lutz Th. “CFD Study of Ground Effect Simulation” Proceedings of HEFAT2005, 4th International Conference on Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics 2005 Cairo, Egypt
- Menter, F., R. “Two-Equation Eddy-Viscosity Turbulence Models for Engineering Applications” AIAA Journal 1994 32 269 289
- “Aerodynamic Testing of Road Vehicle – Testing Methods and Procedures” SAE J20784 JAN93
- “Aerodynamic Testing of Road Vehicle – Open Throat Wind Tunnel Adjustment” SAE J2071
- “ANSYS CFX 10.0, Theory Book” ANSYS Inc. 2006