This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Comparative Study Between 1D and 3D Computational Results for Turbulent Flow in an Exhaust Manifold and in Bent Pipes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To improve today’s 1D engine simulation techniques it is important to investigate how well complex geometries such as the manifold are modeled by these engine simulation tools and to identify the inaccuracies that can be attributed to the 1D assumption. Time resolved 1D and 3D calculations have been performed on the turbulent flow through the outer runners of an exhaust manifold of a 2 liter turbocharged SI engine passenger car
The total pressure drop over the exhaust manifold, computed with the 1D and 3D approach, showed to differ over an exhaust pulse. This is so even though a pressure loss coefficient correction has been employed in the 1D model to account for 3D flow effects.
The 3D flow in the two outer runners of the manifold shows the presence of secondary flow motion downstream of the first major curvature. The axial velocity profile downstream of the first turn loses its symmetry. As the flow enters the second curvature a swirling motion is formed. This secondary flow motion prevails with considerable strength at the outlet plane, where the two runners join.
The turbulent flow through single bent pipes with different turning angle as well as a double bent pipe is also computed using both the 1D and the 3D model, the double bent pipe also for time-varying flow. The results are expressed and compared in terms of pressure losses.
The results show that a comparison between 1D and 3D computed pressure loss through a bent geometry is only reasonable for cases where the downstream portion of the pipe after the bend is long enough. This does not hold for geometries like an engine exhaust manifold.
CitationRenberg, U., Ångström, H., and Fuchs, L., "A Comparative Study Between 1D and 3D Computational Results for Turbulent Flow in an Exhaust Manifold and in Bent Pipes," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1112, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1112.
- DALE A. WATSON N. 1986 Vaneless radial turbocharger turbine performance IMechE Paper No. C110/86
- WINTERBONE D.E. NIKOPOUR B. ALEXANDER G.I. 1990 Measurement of the performance of a radial inflow turbine in conditional steady and unsteady flow IMechE Paper No. C405/015
- BAINES N.C. HAJILOUY-BENISI A. YEO J.H 1994 The pulse flow performance and modeling of radial inflow turbines IMechE Paper No. C484/006
- CHEN H. WINTERBONE D.E. 1990 A method to predict performance of vaneless radial turbines under steady and unsteady flow conditions IMechE Paper No. C405/008
- DALE A. WATSON N. COLE A.C. 1988 The development of a turbocharger turbine test facility Instn. Engrs Seminar 75 84
- LAM J. K-W. ROBERTS Q. D. H. McDONNELL G.T. 2002 Flow modeling of a turbocharger turbine under pulsating flow IMechE Paper No. C602/025/2002
- KATSUYUKI O. HIGASHIMORI H. MIKOGAMI T. 2002 Study on the Internal Flow of a radial Turbine rotating blades for automotive turbochargers SAE Paper no. 2002-01-0856
- RIEGLER U. BARGENDE M. 2002 Direct Coupled 1D/3D-CFD-Computation of the Flow in the Switch-Over Intake System of an 8-cylinder SI-engine with Exhaust Gas Recirculation SAE Paper no. 2002-01-0901
- BORGHI M. MATTARELLI E., L. MONTORSI L. 2001 Integration of 3D-CFD and Engine Cycle Simulations: Application to an Intake Plenum SAE Paper no. 2001-01-2512
- SINCLAIR R. STRAUSS T. SCHINDLER P. 2000 Code Coupling, a new Approach to Enhance CFD Analysis of Engines SAE Paper no. 2000-01-0660
- GROSE D.J. AUSTIN K. 2001 Coupling of One Dimensional and Three Dimensional Simulation Models SAE Paper no. 2001-01-1770
- LIU Z. BENJAMIN S.F. ROBERTS C.A. ZHAO H ARIAS-GARCIA A. 2003 A coupled 1D/3D Simulation for the Flow Behavior inside a Close-Coupled Catalytic Converter SAE paper no. 2003-01-1875
- WARHAFT Z. 1997 An introduction to Thermal-Fluid Engineering: The Engine and the Atmosphere The University Press Cambridge
- POPE S.B. Turbulent Flows The University Press Cambridge
- MASSEY B. Mechanic of fluid TJ Press Ltd Padstow
- MILLER D. S. 1978 Internal flow systems The Gresham Press
- SUDO K. SUMIDA H. HIBARA H 1998 Experimental investigation on turbulent flow through a circular-sectioned 90° bend Experiments in Fluids 25 42 49
- SUDO K. SUMIDA H. HIBARA H 2000 Experimental investigation on turbulent flow through a circular-sectioned 180° bend Experiments in Fluids 28 51 57
- HELLSTRÖM F. 2007 Numerical computations of steady and unsteady flow in bended pipes Proceedings of 37:th AIAA Fluid Dynamics Conference and Exhibit AIAA
- OHADI M.M. SPARROW E.M. WALAVALKAR A. ANSAR A.I. 1990 Pressure drop characteristics for turbulent flow in a straight circular tube situated downstream of a bend Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 33 4 583 591
- ANWER M. SO R.M.C. LAI Y.G. 1989 Perturbation by and recovery from bend curvature of a fully developed turbulent pipe flow Physics of fluid A 1 8
- LAI Y.G: SO R.M.C. ZHANG H.S 1991 Turbulence-driven secondary flows in a curved pipe Theoretical and computational fluid dynamics 3 163 180 Springer-Verlag
- PRUVOST J. LEGRAND J. LEGENTILHOMME P. 2004 Numerical investigation of a bend and torus flows, part I:effect of swirl motion on flow structure in U-bend Chemical Engineering Science 59 3345 3357
- RENBERG U. 2008 1D engine simulation of a turbocharged SI engine with CFD computation on components The Royal Institute of Technology Stockholm
- SUGIYAMA H. HITOMI D. 2005 Numerical analysis of developing flow in a 180° bend tube by an algebraic Reynolds stress model International Journal for numerical methods in fluids 47 1431 1449
- PATANKAR S.V. PRATAP V.S SPALDING D.B. 1975 Prediction of turbulent flow in curved pipes Journal of fluid mechanics 67 583 595
- MOUJAES S.F DESMUKH S. 2006 Three-dimensional CFD predictions and experimental comparison of pressure drop of some common pipe fittings in turbulent flow Journal of energy engineering ASCE/AUGUST 2006/61
- KIM N RHODE D.L. 2000 Stream wise curvature effect on the incompressible turbulent mean velocity over curved surfaces Journal of fluids engineering 122/547
- WANG J. SHIRAZI S. 2001 A CFD based correlation for mass transfer coefficient in elbows International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 44 1817 1822
- IACOVIDES H. LAUNDER B.E. LI H-Y. 1995 The computation of flow development through stationary and rotating U-ducts of strong curvature International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 17 22 23
- Gamma Technologies 2004