This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ultrafine Precious Metal Catalyst for High Conversion Efficiency with Low Precious Metal Loading
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes a new catalyst powder structure that inhibits the sintering of the precious metals used in emission control catalysts even under vehicle aging conditions and keeps their particle size in the single-digit nanometer range. This catalyst powder structure consists of a support material for stabilizing precious metals by promoting their chemical bonding and a wall material that physically inhibits aggregation of support material particles. This new structure makes it possible to halve the precious metal loading compared with that of conventional catalysts, while providing the same level of catalyst conversion performance. This paper describes the effects obtained with this new powder structure for an underfloor catalyst, a close-coupled catalyst and a lean NOx trap catalyst.
CitationNakamura, M., Wakamatsu, H., Suga, K., Hiramoto, T. et al., "Ultrafine Precious Metal Catalyst for High Conversion Efficiency with Low Precious Metal Loading," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1069, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1069.
- Sekiba, T. Kimura, S. Yamamoto H. Okada, A. “Development of automotive palladium three-way catalysts” Catalysis Today 22 Issue 1 113 126 Elsevier 1994
- Yamamoto, S. Matsushita, K. Etoh S. Takaya, M. “In-Line Hydrocarbon (Hc) Adsorber System for Reducing Cold-Start Emissions” SAE technical paper, 2000-01-0892 2000
- Hiramoto, Y. Takaya, M. Yamamoto S. Okada, A. “Development of a New Hc-Adsorption Three-Way Catalyst System for Partial-Zev Performance” SAE technical paper, 2003-01-1861 2003
- Onodera H. Nakamura M. Takaya M. Akama• H. Itoyama H. Kimura S. “Development of a Diesel Emission Catalyst System for Meeting US-SULEV Standards” SAE technical paper, 2008-01-0449 2008
- Tanaka Kikinzoku Kogyo K. K. Platinum 2006 Interim Review 2006
- Murakami Y. et al. SYOKUBAI REKKA MEKANIZUMU TO BOUSHI TAISAKU Technical Information Institute Tokyo, Japan 2006
- Diwell, A. F. Rajaram, R. R. Shaw H. A. Truex, T. J. “The Role of Ceria in Three-Way Catalysts” Stud. Surf. Sci. Catal., Elsevier 71 139 2001
- Murrell, L. L. Tauster S. J. Anderson, D. R. “Laser Raman Characterization of Surface Phase Precious Metal Oxides Formed on CeO 2 ” Stud. Surf. Sci. Catal. 71 275 Elsevier 2001
- Taniguchi, M. Uenishi, M. Tan, I. Tanaka, H. Kimura, M. Nishihata Y. Mizuki, J. “Thermal Properties of the Intelligent Catalyst” SAE technical paper, 2004-01-1272 2004