This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Optimization of a Variable Displacement Vane Pump for High Performance IC Engine Lubrication: Part 1 - Experimental Analysis of the Circumferential Pressure Distribution with Dynamic Pressure Sensors
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the present automotive research, increasing efforts are being directed to improve the overall organic efficiency, which, inter alia, means to improve the operational behavior of the auxiliary organs.
This paper reports an experimental approach for the determination and analysis of the pressure distribution in a variable displacement vane pump for high speed internal combustion engine lubrication. More in details, an actual application is presented for a seven-blades variable displacement vane pump equipped with a hydraulic geometry variation system. This unit is characterized by a high performance, in terms of rotational speed, delivery pressure and displacement variation. The experimental layout and some relevant facilities are described.
An extended test campaign was performed on the pump to characterize its operational behavior. Rotational speeds from the idling regime to the maximum sustainable regime were tested by varying the hydraulic circuit load: the results of the pressure field are shown together with a detailed description of the oil physical behavior into the pump.
Furthermore, several changes in the geometry of the pump, which were suggested by the experimental campaign, are presented and their influence on the performance of the pump is evaluated and discussed with a comparative performance analysis.
CitationBianchini, A., Ferrara, G., Ferrari, L., Paltrinieri, F. et al., "Design and Optimization of a Variable Displacement Vane Pump for High Performance IC Engine Lubrication: Part 1 - Experimental Analysis of the Circumferential Pressure Distribution with Dynamic Pressure Sensors," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1045, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1045.
- Schulte H. Wirth M. “Internal Combustion Engines for the Future” Proceedings of ICAT 2004 International Conference on Automotive Technology “Future Automotive Technologies on Powertrain and Vehicle” Istanbul, Turkey 2004
- Walzer P. “Future Power for Cars” SAE paper n. 2001-01-3192
- Holt D. J. “Design of Racing and High-Performance Engines 1998-2003” SAE Paper PT-100 2003
- Mochizuki T. “Development of the Variable Displacement Vane Pump for the Automotive Power Steering System” SAE Paper 930261 1993
- Van der Sluis F. “A New Pump for CVT Applications” SAE Paper 2003-01-3207 2003
- Nishiyama H. Murota K. Hirotsu S. Amano K. Isoyama E. “Vane Pump for New Generation CVT” SAE Paper 2007-01-1456 2007
- Staley D. Pryor B. Gilgenbach K. “Adaptation of a Variable Displacement Vane Pump to Engine Lube Oil Applications” SAE Paper 2007-01-1567 2007
- Karmel A. M. “A study of the Internal Forces in a Variable-displacement Vane Pump – Part I: A Theoretical Analysis” Journal of Fluids Engineering 108 1986
- Karmel A. M. “A study of the Internal Forces in a Variable-displacement Vane Pump – Part II: A Parametric Study” Journal of Fluids Engineering 108 1986
- Jang J. S. Kim J. H. Cho M. R. Han D.C. “The characteristics of pressure ripple in variable displacement vane pumps: comparison between theory and experiment” Proceedings of ASME FEDSM'01 ASME 2001 Fluids
- Mancò S. Nervegna N. Rundo M. Armenio G. “Displacement Versus Flow Control in IC Engines Lubricating Pumps” SAE Paper 2004-01-1602 2004
- Mancò S. Nervegna N. Rundo M. Armenio G. “Modelling and Simulation of Variable Displacement Vane Pumps for IC Engine Lubrication” SAE Technical Paper Series No 2004-01-1601 2004
- Karmel A. M. “Modeling and Analysis of the Dynamics of a Variable-Displacement Vane-Pump with a Pivoting Cam” Journal of dynamics systems, measurement and control 110 1988
- Hattori K. Suzuki H. Hasegawa J. “Design Method of Small-Ripple Vane Pump” SAE Paper 871681 1987
- Jones B. L. Johnston D. N. Longmore D. K. “Simulation of Suction Flow Ripple in Power Steering Pumps” SAE Paper 982023 1998
- Nacamura K. Hibi A. Hideki H. Hattori Y. “Pressure Ripples of a balanced Vane Pump” Journal of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers 1991 58 547 709 803
- Singh T. “Design of Vane Pump Suction Porting to Reduce Cavitation at High Operating Speeds” SAE Paper 911937 1991
- Milani M. Paltrinieri F. Tosetti F. Bianchini A. Ferrara G. Ferrari L. “Design and Optimization of a Variable Displacement Vane Pump for High Performance IC Engine Lubrication, Part 2 - Lumped parameters numerical analysis.” Proceedings of SAE World Congress 2008 Detroit April 2009
- Douglas F. E. “Handbook of Digital Signal Processing: Engineering Applications” Academic Press 1987
- Kreysig E. “Advanced Engineering Mathematics” John Wiley & Sons Publisher 1993