This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Electrical System Modeling Based on Lead Acid Battery Aging
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Recently electric and electronic devices in vehicle have been rapidly increasing. Because the dynamic characteristics of these systems are too much complicated, it is getting very difficult to predict the change of electrical energy accurately. Especially, since the lead-acid battery has a fast aging process, managing the electrical energy in vehicle becomes more difficult.
This paper shows the electrical energy simulator, which consists of a battery, an alternator and various electrical devices. In particular, proposed aging battery model was implemented using a finite element method (FEM) based on electrochemical approach. And the thermal characteristic of alternator is also focused on getting reliable performance. Finally, we validated the electrical energy simulator including this battery model on the actual conditions in vehicle.
|Technical Paper||Power Battery Modeling Based on the Characteristic Field Theory|
|Technical Paper||A New Design for Automotive Alternators|
|Technical Paper||Aspects of a Robust In-Vehicle Lead-Acid Battery Monitoring System (inGEN®)|
CitationKim, S., Chung, S., Shin, W., Shin, C. et al., "Electrical System Modeling Based on Lead Acid Battery Aging," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1038, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1038.
- Gu H. Nguyen T. V. White R. E. 1987 A Mathematical Model of a Lead-Acid Cell Journal of Electrochemical Soc. 134 12
- Bernardi D. M. Gu H. Schoene A. Y. 1993 Two-Dimensional Mathematical Model of a Lead-Acid Cell Journal of Electrochemical Soc. 140 8
- Gu W. B. Wang C. Y. Liaw B. Y. 1997 Numerical Modeling of Coupled Electrochemical and Transport Processes in Lead-Acid Batteries Journal of Electrochemical Soc. 144 6
- Ruetschi P. 2004 Aging mechanisms and service life of lead-acid batteries Journal of Power Sources 127
- Schiffer J. Sauer D.U. Bindner H. Cronin T. Lundsager P. Kaiser R. 2007 Model prediction for ranking lead-acid batteries according to expected lifetime in renewable energy systems and autonomous power-supply systems Journal of Power Sources 168
- Wanjae Shin Lee Je Been et al Two-Staged Modeling of Alternator 14th Asia Pacific Automotive Engineering Conference(APAC14) Hollywood Aug 5-8 2007
- Schöttle R. Müller W. Meyer H. Schoch E. Methods for the Efficient Development and Optimization of Automotive Electrical Systems SAE Warrendale, PA, 970301 1997