This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Bumper System Development to Meet New IIHS Bumper Test Using CAE and Optimization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
IIHS introduced new bumper testing program to mimic the kind of low-speed impacts that occur in the real world in 2006. New bumper design is required to meet new bumper testing program that can mimic under-ride or over-ride happening.
This paper is about new bumper design development with optimization and crash analysis.
To reduce computational calculation time, simplified FE model is suggested. Topology optimization is used to find optimum shape of reinforcement bracket which is located at the front of the front back beam rail. DOE(Design of Experiment) method is also used to decide proper dimensions of the bracket. From the DOE results, most effective design variable can be identified. Finally, approximation, RSM(Response Surface Method), is done to get optimum dimension value.
Intrusion, Back Beam Deflection and Back beam height variation during crash are compared between current design and optimum design to identify improvement. Finally, estimated repair costs are compared between current design and optimum design
CitationKim, S., Lee, K., Lee, D., and Lee, H., "Bumper System Development to Meet New IIHS Bumper Test Using CAE and Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0962, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0962.
- “2007 Mitchell Collision Estimating & Reference Guide Import Asian 1&2” Mitchell International March 2007
- “Status Report” Insurance Institute for Highway Safety 42 No.2 March 1 2007
- Aylor, David Ramires, Danny L. Brumbelow Matthew Nolan, Joseph M. “Limitations of Current Bumper Designs and Potential Improvements” SAE Technical Paper Series, 2005-01-1337
- Aylor, David Nolan, Joseph Avery Matthew Weekes, Alix M. “Corner Protection in Low Speed Crashes” SAE Technical Paper Series, 2007-01-1760
- Uikey, Dhiraj Evans darling A. Vasudevan, Ragav “Bumper System Development to Improve Compatibility per Proposed IIHS Bumper Barrier Criteria” SAE Technical Paper Series, 2006-01-1660