This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Power-By-Wire Piezoelectric-Hydraulic Pump Actuator for Automotive Transmission Shift Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this study, a new actuation system concept is developed for automotive transmission shift control. A piezoelectric-hydraulic pump (in short, PHP) based actuation system is one of the potential alternatives that can replace the current electro-hydraulic actuation system in automotive transmissions. Their feasibility has been successfully demonstrated in a lab environment. This study extends the application of the PHP actuator into an AT (Automatic Transmission) test-bed to validate the effectiveness of the new power-by-wire actuation concept. To demonstrate the potentials of the PHP actuator, a nonlinear sliding mode control for force tracking and hardware-in-the-loop simulation (in short, HILS) are performed.
CitationKim, G. and Wang, K., "Power-By-Wire Piezoelectric-Hydraulic Pump Actuator for Automotive Transmission Shift Control," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0950, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0950.
- Zongxuan Sun and Kumar Hebbale, 2005, “Challenges and Opportunities in Automotive Transmission Control”, American Control Conference, pp.3284∼3289.
- Turner A. J., Ramsay K., 2004, “Review and Development of Electomechanical Actuators for Improved Transmission Control and Efficiency,” SAE Technical Paper No. 2004-01-1322.
- Neelakantan V. A., Washington G. N., Bucknor N. K., 2005, “Two-stage actuation system using DC motors and piezoelectric actuators for controllable industrial and automotive brakes and clutches,” Smart Structures and Materials 2005: Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 5762, pp. 275∼286.
- Turner A. J., Ramsay K., Clark R. E., Howe D., 2006, “Development of High Force Electromechanical Linear Actuator for Shift-By-Wire Automated Manual Transmissions,” SAE Technical Paper No. 2006-01-0360.
- Sirohi J., and Chopra I., 2003, “Design and Development of a High Pumping Frequency Piezoelectric-Hydraulic Hybrid Actuator”, Journal of Intelligent Material systems & Structures. Vol. 14, pp. 135∼147.
- Lee D. G., Or S. W. and Carman G. P., 2004, “Design of a piezoelectric-hydraulic pump with active valves”, Journal of Intelligent Material systems & Structures. Vol. 15, pp. 107∼115.
- Tieck R. M., Carman G. P., Lin Y., O'Neill C., 2005, “Characterization of a Piezohydrualic Actuator”, Smart Structures and Materials 2005: Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 5764, pp. 671∼679.
- Chapman E. G., Herdic S. L., Keller C. A., Lynch C. S., 2005, “Development of Miniaturized Piezo-Hydraulic Pumps”, Smart Structures and Materials 2005: Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 5762, pp. 299∼310.
- Gi-Woo Kim and Wang K.W., 2007, “Piezoelectric-Hydraulic Pump Based Band Brake Actuation System for Automotive Transmission Control,” Smart Structures and Materials: Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 6525, 65251E.
- Gi-Woo Kim and Wang K.W., 2008, “Nonlinear Force Feedback Control of Piezoelectric-Hydraulic Pump Actuator for Automatic Transmission Shift Control”, Smart Structures and Materials 2008: Proceedings of SPIE No. 6930-9.
- Fujii Y., Tobler W. E., Clausing E. M., Megli T. W., and Haghgooie M., 2002, Application of Dynamic Band Brake Model for Enhanced Drivetrain Simulation. IMechE Journal of Automobile Engineering, Vol. 216 (D11), pp. 873-881.
- Megli T. W., Haghgooie M., and Colvin D. S., 1999, “Shift characteristics of 4-speed automatic transmission,” SAE technical paper 1999-01-1060.