This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Gasoline and LPG Vehicle Emission Factors in a Road Test
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to measure the concentration of toxic compounds a mobile analyzer for toxic tests SEMTECH DS by SENSORS Inc. was used. In the study the results of the vehicle emission tests in the road conditions were presented as this was the only way to obtain the information on real vehicle emissions. They include information on the emissivity of the vehicles in operation and deal with the real conditions of the vehicle motion. Reliable measurement results were obtained which were verified in simulated conditions on a chassis test bed. The obtained data were used to specify the dependence characteristics for the influence of the dynamic engine properties on the harmful compound emissions. The dynamic engine properties were indirectly taken into account using all the speed range and the range of acceleration calculated for the city traffic in order to prepare a matrix of emission intensity. The data used were averaged within each speed and acceleration range, which generated a characteristics of engine operation in each range and a characteristics of the emission matrices of each harmful compound. The largest share of engine operation in the studied traffic conditions was obtained for the minimum and medium speeds and zero vehicle acceleration. The obtained data enabled to define the vehicle emission factor which can be used to classify fleets of vehicles in relation to toxic compounds emissions that differ e.g. in production date, i.e. limits of exhaust emissions, mileage of vehicles or operation conditions.
CitationMerkisz, J., Pielecha, J., and Gis, W., "Gasoline and LPG Vehicle Emission Factors in a Road Test," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0937, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0937.
- Directive 98/69/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 13 October 1998 Relating to Measures to be Taken Against Air Pollution by Emissions from Motor Vehicles and Amending Council Directive 70/220/EEC, Official Journal L 350, 28.12.1998
- Processing CITA Conference „Global Perspective on Road-worthiness Enforcement”, organized by International Motor Vehicle Inspection Committee. Chicago 24–28.05.2005
- Zhao, F.F., Technologies for Near-Zero-Emission Gasoline-Powered Vehicles. SAE International, Warrendale 2007
- AVL, Current and Future Exhaust Emission Legislation. AVL List GmbH, Graz 2007.
- Palocz-Andresen, M., Completion of the OBD- with the OBM-(On-Board-Measurement)-Technology. [In:] Predelli O.: Onboard-Diagnose II, Expert Verlag, 2007
- Merkisz, J., Gis, W., European On-Board Diagnostic System in Automotive Vehicles in Poland. 2nd World Congress on Maintenance and 19th Brazilian Congress on Maintenance, 2004
- Korniski, T., Gierczak, C., Wallington, T., Laboratory Evaluation of the 2.5 Inch Diameter SEMTECH® Exhaust Flow Meter with Gasoline Fueled Vehicles. Sensors 4th Annual SUN (SEMTECH User Network) Conference, 2007
- Shahinian, V.D., SENSORS tech-ct Update Application Software for SEMTECH Mobile Emission Analyzers. Sensors 4th Annual SUN (SEMTECH User Network) Conference, 2007
- Sharp, C.A., Feist, M., Results of the HDIUT Gaseous PEMS Measurement Allowance Program and Update on PM Program Status. Sensors 4th Annual SUN (SEMTECH User Network) Conference, 2007
- Gao, Y., Checkel, M.D., Emission Factors Analysis for Multiple Vehicles Using an On-Board, In-Use Emissions Measurement System, presented at SAE World Congress, 2007-01-1327, 2007
- Gao, Y., Checkel, M.D., Experimental Measurement of On-Road CO2 Emission and Fuel Consumption Functions, presented at SAE Congress, 2007-01-1610, 2007
- Greening, P., European Light-Duty & Heavy Duty OBD – Legislative Update, presented at On-Board Diagnostic Symposium: Light and Heavy Duty, 2007
- McCarthy, M., Update on Light Duty OBD II, presented at On-Board Diagnostic Symposium: Light and Heavy Duty, 2007
- Tsinoglou, D.N., Koltsakis, G.C., Samaras, Z.S., Performance of OBD Systems for Euro 4 Level Vehicles and Implications for the Future OBD Legislation. [In:] Predelli O.: Onboard-Diagnose II, Expert Verlag, 2007