This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Static, Dynamic Thermal Imagery Systems for Evaluating Automotive Painted Structures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work presents two implementation modes of thermal imagery systems, to evaluate automotive painted structures mainly car-shells and fuel containers. The non-intrusive evaluation is done through passive (static) and active (dynamic) thermography systems. Passive implementation employs built-in heat agitation sources in the process-chain, while the active system utilizes an external, controlled perturbation sources. The coated structures are evaluated from two perspectives; protective aspect, which include coat thickness, adhesion and pinholes. Aesthetics inspection focuses on contaminants detection and layer uniformity. The work discusses each case study through theoretical modeling and simulation to explain the detection theory, and further present laboratory testing results under controlled conditions. The actual system implementation is also discussed, with the challenges identified and the mitigation procedures shown. Further, novel image processing routines are introduced to explain the acquired scans processing, and problems with current commercially available routines. Finally, Results from actual pilot-runs are discussed and future improvements stated.
CitationOmar, M., Zhou, Y., and Chuah, K., "Static, Dynamic Thermal Imagery Systems for Evaluating Automotive Painted Structures," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0866, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0866.
- Hunter, Harold The measurement of appearance Wiley Interscience second edition
- Cielo Optical Techniques for Industrial Inspection Academic Press
- Omar, M.A. Chuah, K. Saito, K. “Thermal machine vision system for automotive protective coating” Journal of Quantitative Infrared Thermography 2 2005
- Omar, M.A. Ghariebeh, B. Salazar, A. Saito, K. “IRT and UVF fluorescence for marine coatings inspection” International Journal of nondestructive testing and evaluation 40 62 70 2007
- Omar, M.A. Hassan, M. Saito, K. Alloo, R. “IR self-referencing for in depth defect detection” Journal of Infrared Physics and Technology 46 283 289 2005
- Omar, M.A. Hassan, M. Saito, K. Donohue, K. ”Infrared Thermography for inspection automotive welded joints” International Journal of nondestructive testing and evaluation 39 1 7 2006
- Omar, M.A. Viti, V. Saito, K. Liu, X. ”Self adjusting robotic painting system” Journal of Industrial Robots 33 50 55 2006
- Reynolds, R. Karpala, F. Clarke, D. Hageniers, O. “ Theory and applications of a surface inspection technique using double-pass retrorfelection” Optical Engineering 32 9 2122 2129 1993
- Omar, M.A. Chuah, K. Saito, K. Alloo, R. Sakakibara, M. ”IRSIS Infrared Seed Inspection system” Journal of Infrared Physics and Technology 48 240 248 2006