This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence on Diesel Injection Characteristics and Behavior Using Biodiesel Fuels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The aim of this paper is to present an experimental study of the influence of using biodiesel blended fuels on a standard injection system taken from a DI commercial Diesel engine. The effects have been evaluated through injection rate measurements, spray momentum and spray visualization at ambient temperature (non-evaporating condition). These tests have been done using five different injection pressures, from 300 to 1600 bar, and three back pressures: 20, 50 and 80 bar.
It is well known that fuel properties like density or kinematic viscosity are higher in vegetable oils and strongly affect how injection system operates. The tests showed that the use of biodiesel fuels leads to a higher mass flow when the injector is fully open. The spray pattern is also affected, biodiesel penetrates more and the spray is narrower. Some explanations are provided in this paper in order to understand better the injection process when vegetable oils are used.
CitationDesantes, J., Payri, R., Salvador, F., and Manin, J., "Influence on Diesel Injection Characteristics and Behavior Using Biodiesel Fuels," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0851, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0851.
Diesel Fuel Injection and Sprays, 2009
Number: SP-2240; Published: 2009-04-20
Number: SP-2240; Published: 2009-04-20
- Patterson J. Hassan M.G. Clarke A. Shama G. Hellgardt K. Chen R. 2006 Experimental study of DI Diesel engine performance using three different biodiesel fuels SAE Paper 2006-01-0234
- Lujan J.M. Tormos B. Salvador F.J. Gargar K. 2008 Comparative analysis of a DI Diesel engine fuelled with biodiesel blends during the European MVEG-A cycle Biomass and Bioenergy
- Fukuda H. Kondo A. Noda H. 2001 Biodiesel fuel production by transesterification of oils: review Journal of Bioresource and Bioengineering 92 5
- Rosca R. Rakosi E. Manolache G. Niculaua M. 2005 Fuel and injection characteristics for a biodiesel type fuel from waste cooking oil SAE Paper 2005-01-3674
- Kegl B. Kegl M. Pehan S. 2008 Optimization of an injection system for Diesel and biodiesel usage Energy and Fuels 22 1046 1054
- Bosch W. 1966 The fuel rate indicator: a new instrument for display of the characteristic of individual injection SAE Paper 660749
- Payri R. García J.M. Salvador F.J. Gimeno J. 2005 Using spray momentum flux measurements to understand the influence of Diesel nozzle geometry on spray characteristics Fuel 84 551 561
- Desantes J.M. Payri R. Salvador F.J. Soare V. 2005 Study of the influence of geometrical and injection parameters on Diesel spray characteristics in isothermal conditions SAE Paper 2005-01-0913
- Pastor J.V. Arrègle J. Palomares A. 2001 Diesel spray image segmentation with a likelihood ratio test Applied Optics 40 17 2876 2885
- Siebers D. 1998 Liquid-phase fuel penetration in Diesel sprays SAE Paper 980809
- Payri R. Salvador F.J. Gimeno J. De la Morena J. 2008 Macroscopic behavior of Diesel sprays in the near-nozzle field SAE Paper 2008-01-0929
- Siebers D. 1999 Scaling liquid-phase fuel penetration in Diesel sprays based on mixing-limited vaporization SAE Paper 1999-01-0528
- Dent J.C. 1971 A basis for the comparison of various experimental methods for studying spray penetration SAE Paper 710571
- Wakuri Y. Fujii M. Amitani T. Tsuneva R. 1960 Studies of the penetration of a fuel spray in a Diesel engine JSME 3 9
- Hiroyasu H. Arai M. 1990 Structures of fuel sprays in Diesel engines SAE Paper 900475
- Desantes J.M. Payri R. Salvador F.J. Gil A. 2006 Development and validation for a theoretical model for Diesel spray penetration Fuel 85 910 917
- Podorevc P. Kegl B. Skerget L. 2008 Diesel and biodiesel fuel spray simulations Energy and Fuels 22
- Lee C.S. Park S.W. Kwon S.I. 2005 An experimental study on the atomization and combustion of biodiesel blended fuels Energy and Fuels 19
- Mueller C.J. 2007 An introduction to biodiesel For EST Article #104
- Higgins B.S. Mueller C.J. Siebers D.L. 1999 Measurements on fuel effect on Liquid-phase penetration in DI sprays SAE Paper 1999-01-0519
- Kim H.J. Suh H.K. Park S.H. Lee C.S. 2008 An experimental and numerical investigation of atomization of biodiesel, dimethyl ether, and biodiesel-ethanol blended fuel Energy & Fuels 22
- Ramadhas A.S. Jarayaj S. Muraleedharan C. 2004 Use of vegetable oils as I.C. engine fuels: A review Renewable Energy 29