This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterizing Spray Behavior of Diesel Injection Systems Using X-Ray Radiography
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In Diesel engines, fuel injection plays a critical role in performance, efficiency, and emissions. Altering parameters such as injection quantity, duration, pressure, etc. influences the injector's performance. Changes in the injection system architecture can also affect the spray behavior. Understanding of the flow near the nozzle exit can lead to the establishment of correlation to spray characteristics further downstream, and eventually its combustion behavior in the engine. Because of its high density, the near-nozzle region of the spray is difficult to study using optical techniques. This near-nozzle region of spray from high pressure injectors was studied using the quantitative and time-resolved x-ray radiography technique. This method provides high spatial and temporal resolution without significant scattering effects. Comparisons of spray characteristics are made between a Caterpillar HEUI multi-hole injector, a single-hole common rail Bosch injector, and multi-hole common rail Bosch injectors. Notable dissimilarities between the systems are observed. Differences in internal flow between the multi-hole and single-hole nozzles lead to significantly broader sprays from the multi-hole nozzles. In addition, spray from the Valve-Covered Orifice (VCO) nozzle and Mini-Sac nozzles differ in the distribution of mass with VCO nozzles yielding sprays with higher concentration towards the center.
- A. I. Ramírez - University of Illinois at Chicago
- S. Som - University of Illinois at Chicago
- S. K. Aggarwal - University of Illinois at Chicago
- A. L. Kastengren - Argonne National Laboratory
- E. M. El-Hannouny - Argonne National Laboratory
- D. E. Longman - Argonne National Laboratory
- C. F. Powell - Argonne National Laboratory
CitationRamírez, A., Som, S., Aggarwal, S., Kastengren, A. et al., "Characterizing Spray Behavior of Diesel Injection Systems Using X-Ray Radiography," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0846, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0846.
- Mulemane A., Han J-S., Lu P-H., Yoon S-J., Lai M-C, “Modeling Dynamic Behavior of Diesel Fuel Injection Systems”, SAE Paper 2004-01-0536, 2004.
- Han J-S., Lu P-H, Xie X-B., Lai M-C, Henein N.A., “Investigation of Diesel Spray Primary Breakup and Development for Different Nozzle Geometries”, SAE Paper 2002-01-2775, 2002.
- Powell C.F., Yue Y., Poola R., Wang J., Lai M-C, Schaller J., “X-Ray Measurements of High Pressure Diesel Sprays”, SAE Paper 2001-01-0531, 2001.
- Powell C.F., Ciatti S.A., Cheong S-Y., Liu J., Wang J., “X-Ray Absorption Measurements of Diesel Sprays and the Effects of Nozzle Geometry”, SAE Paper 2004-01 -2011, 2004.
- Yue Y., Powell C.F., Poola R., Wang J., Schaller J.K., “Quantitative Measurements of Diesel Fuel Spray Characteristics in the Near-Nozzle Region Using X-Ray Absorption”, Atomization and Sprays, vol.11, pp. 471-490, 2001.
- Malavé A., Farrell P., Powell C.F., Cheong S-K., Wang J., “Near-Nozzle Diesel Spray Imaging Using X-Rays”, Proceedings of 19th Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems, 2006.
- Leick P., Riedel T., Bittlinger G., Powell C.F., Kastengren A.L., Wang J., “X-Ray Measurements of the Mass Distribution in the Dense Primary Breakup Region of the Spray from a Standard Multi-Hole Common-Rail Diesel Injection System”, Proceedings of the 21st ILASS-Europe Meeting, ILASS, 2007.
- Ramirez A.I., Som S., Aggarwal S.A., Kastengren A.L., El-Hannouny E.M., Longman D.E., Powell C.F., “Quantitative Measurement of Diesel Fuel Spray Characteristics in the Near-Nozzle Region of a Heavy-Duty Multi-Hole Injector”, Proceedings of 21st Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems, ILASS, 2008.
- Kastengren A.L., Powell C.F., Riedel T., Cheong S-Y., Wang Y., Im K-S., Liu X., Wang J., “Determination of Diesel Spray Axial Velocity Using X-Ray Radiography”, SAE Paper 2007-01-0666, 2007.
- Yudanov S.V., “Development of the Hydraulically Actuated Electronically Controlled Unit Injector for Diesel Engines”, SAE Paper 952057, 1995.
- Stockner A.R., Flinn M.S., Camplin F.A., “HEUI – A New Direction for Diesel Engine Fuel Systems”, SAE Paper 930270, 1993.
- Glassey S.F., Stockner A.R., Flinn MA.A., “Development of the HEUI Fuel Injection System – Integration of Design, Simulation, Test, and Manufacturing”, SAE Paper 930271, 1993.
- Kastengren A.L., Powell C.F., Wang Y., Im K-S., Wang J., “X-Ray Radiography Measurements of Diesel Spray Structure at Engine-Like Ambient Density”, Proceedings of 21st Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems, ILASS, 2008.
- Margot X., Payri R., Gil A., Chavez M., Pinzello A., “Combined CFD-Phenomenological Approach to the Analysis of Diesel Sprays under Non-Evaporative Conditions”, SAE Paper 2008-01-0962, 2008.
- Benajes J., Pastor J.V., Payri R., Plazas A.H., “Analysis of the Influence of Diesel Nozzle Geometry in the Injection Rate Characteristics”, ASME Journal of Fluid Engineering, vol. 126, pp. 63-71, 2004.
- Bosch W. “The Fuel Rate Indicator: A New Measuring Instrument for Display of the Characteristics of Individual Injection”, SAE Paper 660749, 1966.
- Som S., Aggarwal S.K., “A Numerical Investigation of Non-Evaporating and Evaporating Diesel Sprays”, Proceedings of ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, IMECE 2008-684441, 2008.
- Siebers D.L., “Liquid-Phase Fuel Penetration in Diesel Sprays”, SAE Paper 980809, 1998.
- Naber J.D., Siebers D.L., “Effects of Gas Density and Vaporization on Penetration and Dispersion of Diesel Sprays”, SAE Paper 960034, 1996.
- Kastengren A.L., Powell C.F., Riedel T., Cheong S-K., Im K-S., Liu X., Wang Y-J., Wang J., “Nozzle Geometry and Injection Duration Effects on Diesel Sprays Measured by X-Ray Radiography,” in press Journal of Fluids Engineering.
- De Risi A., Colangelo G., Laforgia D., “An Experimental Study of High Pressure Nozzles in Consideration of Hole-to-Hole Spray Abnormalities”, SAE Paper 2000-01-1250, 2000.
- Kastengren A.L., Powell C.F., “Spray Density Measurements using X-Ray Radiography”, Proceedings of IMechE Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, v.221, n.6, pp 653-662, 2007.
- Klein-Douwel R.J.H., Frijters P.J.M., Somers L.M.T., Boer W.A., Baert R.S.G. “Macroscopic Diesel Fuel Spray Shadowgraphy Using High Speed Digital Imaging in a High Pressure Cell”, Fuel, v.86, pp 1994-2007, 2007.