This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Finite Element Investigation of Seatbelt Systems for Improving Occupant Protection during Rollover Crashes
ISSN: 1946-3995, e-ISSN: 1946-4002
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Citation: Hu, J., Chou, C., and Yang, K., "Finite Element Investigation of Seatbelt Systems for Improving Occupant Protection during Rollover Crashes," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars – Mech. Syst. 2(1):904-913, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0825.
- Arndt, M.W., Mowry, G.A., Dickerson, C.P., and Arndt, S.M. Evaluation of experimental restraints in rollover conditions, presented at 39th Stapp Car Crash Conference. San Diego, California. SAE 952712. 1995.
- Bahling, G.S., Bundorf, R.T., Kaspzyk, G.S., Moffatt, E.A., Orlowski, K.F., and Stocke, J.E. Rollover and drop tests - The influence of roof strength on injury mechanics using belted dummies, presented at 34th Stapp Car Crash Conference. Orlando, Florida, USA. SAE 902314. 1990.
- Bostrom, O. and Haland, Y., (2005). Benefits of a 3+2-point belt system and an inboard torso side support in frontal, far-side and rollover crashes. International Journal of Vehicle Safety. 1(1/2/3): 181–199.
- Digges, K.H. and Eigen, A.M. Severity Measurements for Rollover Crashes, presented at 2005 International IRCOBI Conference on the Biomechanics of Impact. Prague, Czech Republic. SAE 2005-13-0010. 2005.
- Friedman, K., Friedman, D., Forrest, S., Meyer, S., Herbst, B., Chng, D., and Wang, P. Restraint Effectiveness during Rollover Motion, presented at IRCOBI Conference. 1996.
- Herbst, B., Forrest, S., Wang, P., Chng, D., Friedman, D., and Friedman, K. The Ability of 3 Point Safety Belts to Restrain Occupants in Rollover Crashes, presented at The 15th International Technical Conference on Enhanced Safety of Vehicles. 96-S5-O-12. 1996.
- Hu, J., Neck injury mechanism in rollover crashes - A systematic approach for improving rollover neck protection. PhD Dissertation. Biomedical Engineering, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, USA. 2007.
- Hu, J., Chou, C.C., Yang, K.H., and King, A.I., (2007). A weighted logistic regression analysis for predicting the odds of head/face and neck injuries during rollover crashes. Annu Proc Assoc Adv Automot Med. 51: 363–79.
- Hu, J., Ma, C., Yang, K.H., Chou, C.C., King, A.I., McCoy, R.W., and Chen, R.J. Development of a Finite Element Model for Simulation of Rollover Crashes, presented at ASME Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Crashworthiness, Occupant Protection and Biomechanics in Transportation Systems: ASME. 2007.
- Hu, J., Yang, K.H., Chou, C.C., and King, A.I., (2008). A numerical investigation of factors affecting cervical spine injuries during rollover crashes. Spine. 33(23): 2529–35.
- Iwamoto, M., Kisanuki, Y., Watanabe, I., Furusu, K., Miki, K., and Hasegawa, J. Development of a finite element model of the total human model for safety (THUMS) and application to injury reconstruction, presented at 2002 International IRCOBI Conference on the Biomechanics of Impact. Munich, Germany. SAE 2002-13-0002. 2002.
- James, M.B., Allsop, D., Nordhagen, R.P., and Decker, R.L. Injury Mechanisms and Field Accident Data Analysis in Rollover Accidents, presented at SAE International Congress and Exposition. Detroit, MI. SAE 970396. 1997.
- Lai, W. III, B.E., Richards, D., Carhart, M., Newberry, W., and Corrigan, C.F. Evaluation of human surrogate models for rollover, presented at SAE world congress. Detroit, MI. SAE 2005-01-0941. 2005.
- McCoy, R.W. and Chou, C.C. A Study of Occupant Kinematics and Seat Belt Systems in Component Rollover Tests, presented at SAE World Congress. SAE 2007-01-0709. 2007.
- Meyer, S., Davis, M., Chng, D., Herbst, B., and Forrest, S. Three-Point Restraint System Design Considerations for Reducing Vertical Occupant Excursion in Rollover Environments, presented at SAE World Congress. SAE 2000-01-0605. 2000.
- Moffatt, E., Hare, B., Hughes, R., Lewis, L., Iiyama, H., Curzon, A., and Cooper, E., (2003). Head excursion of restrained human volunteers and hybrid III dummies in steady state rollover tests. Annu Proc Assoc Adv Automot Med. 47: 445–65.
- Moffatt, E.A., Cooper, E.R., Croteau, J.J., Orlowski, K.F., Marth, D.R., and Carter, J.W. Matched-pair rollover impacts of rollcaged and production roof cars using the controlled rollover impact system (CRIS), presented at SAE World Congress. SAE 2003-01-0172. 2003.
- Moffatt, E.A., Cooper, E.R., Croteau, J.J., Parenteau, C., and Toglia, A. Head excursion of seat-belted cadaver, volunteers and Hybrid III ATD in a dynamic/static rollover fixture, presented at 41st Stapp Car Crash Conference. Lake Buena Vista, Florida, USA. SAE 973347. 1997.
- Moffatt, E.A. and James, M.B. Headroom, Roof Crush, and Belted Excursion in Rollovers, presented at SAE World Congress. SAE 2005-01-0942. 2005.
- Newberry, W., Lai, W., Carhart, M., Richards, D., Brown, J., and Raasch, C. Modeling the effects of seat belt pretensioners on occupant kinematics during rollover, presented at SAE World Congress. Detroit, MI. SAE 2006-01-0246. 2006.
- Padmanaban, J. and Davis, M.S. Examination of rollover accident characteristics using field performance data, presented at SAE World Congress. SAE 2002-01-2056. 2002.
- Parenteau, C.S. and Shah, M. Driver injuries in US single-event rollovers, presented at SAE World Congress. SAE 2000-01-0633. 2000.
- Pywell, J.F., Rouhana, S.W., McCleary, J.D., and DeSaele, K.H. Characterization of belt restraint systems in quasistatic vehicle rollover tests, presented at 41st Stapp Car Crash Conference. Lake Buena Vista, Florida. SAE 973334. 1997.
- Rains, G., Elias, J., and Mowry, G. Evaluation of Restraints Effectiveness in Simulated Rollover Conditions, presented at The 16th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles. Windsor, Ontario, Canada. 1998.
- Rouhana, S.W., Bedewi, P.G., Kankanala, S.V., Prasad, P., Zwolinski, J.J., Meduvsky, A.G., Rupp, J.D., Jeffreys, T.A., and Schneider, L.W., (2004). Biomechanics of 4-point seat belt systems in frontal impacts. Stapp Car Crash Journal. 47: 367–399.
- Viano, D.C., Section 2 - Rollover Safety Related Patents, in Occupant and Vehicle Responses in Rollovers, Viano D.C. and Parenteau C.S., Editors. 2004, SAE: Warrendale, PA.
- Ward, C., Avanessian, H.D., Ward, P., and Paver, J. Investigation of Restraint Function on Male and Female Occupants in Rollover Events, presented at SAE World Congress. SAE 2001-01-0177. 2001.
- Yamaguchi, G.T., Carhart, M.R., Larson, R., Richards, D., Pierce, J., Raasch, C.C., Scher, I., and Corrigan, C.F. Electromyographic activity and posturing of the human neck during rollover tests, presented at SAE world congress. Detroit, MI. SAE 2005-01-0302. 2005.
|Technical Paper||ROLLOVER: A METHODOLOGY FOR RESTRAINT SYSTEM DEVELOPMENT|
|Journal Article||Safety Belt Buckle Environment in Vehicle Rollover Crash Tests|
|Technical Paper||Probability of Occupant's Injuries due to Rollover Crashes - Computational Methods|