This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Validation Suite Approach to Safety Qualification of Tools
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work gives an introduction into possible tool qualification approaches, and then proposes a generic approach to tool qualification using a Tool Validation Suite Approach. Here “tool” is usually used in the sense of “integrated code generator tool with target compiler”. Central to the Validation Suite Approach is the use of an Automated Test Environment with capability of automatic execution of large numbers of test cases.
The presentation also provides the results of an effort to systematically gather and structure all relevant requirements on a Validation Suite from existing and upcoming standards in a generic Validation Suite Requirement Catalogue (, attached after this article). The presentation provides examples of the various requirements and different requirement classes and explains the role of the requirement catalogue in the Validation Suite approach.
Further the contribution presents the steps according to this Validation Suite Approach to tool qualification which will lead to tool qualification and if desired certification. It outlines how assessment of a specific tool validation suite against the requirements may progress.
The remainder of the presentation describes the role of validation suite operation and maintenance activities and re-qualification of tools which have been previously qualified, and gives experience and status of the current work. The presentation is outlined in the following sections.
The topics covered in this paper include
Description of validation suite approach
Benefits of approach,
Issues to solve
Elements of validation suite
Role of test environment
|Journal Article||Decomposition Scheme in Automotive Hazard Analysis|
|Journal Article||Efficient Safety Analysis of Automotive Software Systems|
|Technical Paper||Comparison of Functioning Systems of the Car and Biological Organism|
CitationSchneider, S., Lovric, T., and Mai, P., "The Validation Suite Approach to Safety Qualification of Tools," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0746, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0746.
- Functional Safety of electrical/electronic/programmable electronic safety-related systems Part 1 to Part 7 2002/3 Deutsche Fassung
- Software Considerations in Airborne Systems and Equipment Certification December 1 1992
- Integrity February 1995
- VS-Anforderungen Herleitung und Leitfaden zur Anwendung 31.1 2008
- VS-Anforderungen Anforderungen an eine Validierungssuite für Entwicklungswerkzeuge, V2.0 31. Januar 2008
- Road vehicles Functional safety — Part 8: Supporting Processes Chapter 13: Qualification of software tools 2005 09-26
- Software for computers important to safety for nuclear power plants Software aspects of defence against common cause failures, use of software tools and of pre-developed software December 2000
- PTB - Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt PTB-Softwareprüfstelle Anforderungen an als Prüfmittel eingesetzte Software 27 März 2002
- Jung, C. 2005 Stand des Automotive Standards für funktionale Sicherheit – FAKRA-Entwurf, Safecomp
- Lovric, T. 2006 Significance, Implications, and Content of the International Standard IEC 61508 for the automotive Industry, TÜV NORD IFM, Seminar (regularly held, contact author or refer to www.tuev-nord.de/IFM )
- Stürmer, I. Weinberg, D. Conrad, M. 2005 Overview of existing safeguarding techniques for automatically generated code Proceedings of the International Conference on Software Engineering St. Louis, Missouri, USA ACM New York http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1083190.1083192
- Nipkow, T. Paulson, L. Wenzel, M. 2002 Isabelle/HOL - A Proof Assistant for Higher-Order Logic Springer
- Stürmer, I. 2006 Systematic Testing of Code Generation Tools - A Test Suite-oriented Approach for Safeguarding Model-based Code Generation Dissertation Pro BUSINESS Berlin
- Schneider, S. Slotosch, O. 2007 Business Process Engineering: A Validation Suite for Model-based Development Tools Verlag GmbH Heidelberg
- Mai, P. R. 2006 TargetLink Validierungssuite Teststrategie