This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Validation Suite Approach to Safety Qualification of Tools
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work gives an introduction into possible tool qualification approaches, and then proposes a generic approach to tool qualification using a Tool Validation Suite Approach. Here “tool” is usually used in the sense of “integrated code generator tool with target compiler”. Central to the Validation Suite Approach is the use of an Automated Test Environment with capability of automatic execution of large numbers of test cases.
The presentation also provides the results of an effort to systematically gather and structure all relevant requirements on a Validation Suite from existing and upcoming standards in a generic Validation Suite Requirement Catalogue (, attached after this article). The presentation provides examples of the various requirements and different requirement classes and explains the role of the requirement catalogue in the Validation Suite approach.
Further the contribution presents the steps according to this Validation Suite Approach to tool qualification which will lead to tool qualification and if desired certification. It outlines how assessment of a specific tool validation suite against the requirements may progress.
The remainder of the presentation describes the role of validation suite operation and maintenance activities and re-qualification of tools which have been previously qualified, and gives experience and status of the current work. The presentation is outlined in the following sections.
The topics covered in this paper include
Description of validation suite approach
Benefits of approach,
Issues to solve
Elements of validation suite
Role of test environment
CitationSchneider, S., Lovric, T., and Mai, P., "The Validation Suite Approach to Safety Qualification of Tools," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0746, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0746.
- IEC 61508 - Functional Safety of electrical/electronic/programmable electronic safety-related systems – Part 1 to Part 7, EN 61508-1 to 7: 2001; DIN EN 61508-1, 2002/3 (Deutsche Fassung)
- RTCA DO-178B, Software Considerations in Airborne Systems and Equipment Certification, December 1, 1992
- MISRA Report 2, Integrity, February 1995, PDF Version 1.0, January 2001
- VS-Anforderungen - Herleitung und Leitfaden zur Anwendung, BMW_62594_B21, V2.0, 31.1.2008
- VS-Anforderungen - Anforderungen an eine Validierungssuite für Entwicklungswerkzeuge, V2.0, 31. Januar 2008, BMW_62594_B20, TÜV NORD IFM
- I26262 - ISO/WD 26262-8 Road vehicles — Functional safety — Part 8: Supporting Processes, Chapter 13: Qualification of software tools ISO TC 22/SC 3/WG 16 N013 Date: 2005-09-26
- IEC60880 - IEC 60880-2 Software for computers important to safety for nuclear power plants; Software aspects of defence against common cause failures, use of software tools and of pre-developed software, December 2000
- PTB - Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt PTB-Softwareprüfstelle, Anforderungen an als Prüfmittel eingesetzte Software, 27. März 2002
- Jung, C. (2005), Stand des Automotive Standards für funktionale Sicherheit – FAKRA-Entwurf, Safecomp
- Lovric, T. (2006), Significance, Implications, and Content of the International Standard IEC 61508 for the automotive Industry, TÜV NORD IFM, Seminar (regularly held, contact author or refer to www.tuev-nord.de/IFM)
- Stürmer, I., Weinberg, D., Conrad, M. (2005), Overview of existing safeguarding techniques for automatically generated code, Proceedings of the International Conference on Software Engineering, St. Louis, Missouri, USA, ACM New York, (http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1083190.1083192)
- Nipkow, T., Paulson, L. and Wenzel, M. (2002) Isabelle/HOL - A Proof Assistant for Higher-Order Logic; Springer, LNCS 2283
- Stürmer, I. (2006), Systematic Testing of Code Generation Tools - A Test Suite-oriented Approach for Safeguarding Model-based Code Generation, Dissertation, Pro BUSINESS, Berlin
- Schneider, S. and Slotosch, O. (2007), Business Process Engineering: A Validation Suite for Model-based Development Tools, ISBN 978-3-898 644-891, dpunkt. Verlag GmbH, Heidelberg
- Mai, P. R. (2006), TargetLink Validierungssuite – Teststrategie, Version 1.0, 08.12.2008