This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Model-Based Control of Diesel Engines for Fuel Efficiency Optimization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Fuel efficiency optimization has emerged as the next major challenge in the field of diesel engine control and calibration. Conventional techniques will not be able to accommodate the many rigorous and competing demands placed on next generation engine control. An approach that holds great promise for future advanced transient engine control is model-based control (MBC). Model-based calibration optimization methods have shown their efficacy in the off-line engine development process, and these techniques can be extended to online, real-time engine control. This paper describes preliminary results from the deployment of MBC on a next generation heavy duty diesel engine. A description of the development process, the technologies that have been developed to exploit this process and the resultant proof-of-concept emissions and fuel consumption validation are provided.
CitationAtkinson, C., Allain, M., Kalish, Y., and Zhang, H., "Model-Based Control of Diesel Engines for Fuel Efficiency Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0727, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0727.
- Using Model-Based Rapid Transient Calibration to Reduce Fuel Consumption and Emissions in Diesel Engines Atkinson C.M. Allain M. Zhang H. SAE Technical Paper Series No. 2008-01-1365
- Next Generation Engine Control for the Optimization of Fuel Efficiency in Low Emissions Diesel Engines Atkinson C.M. Allain M. Kalish Y. Zhang H. US Department of Energy Diesel Engine-Efficiency and Emissions Research Conference Dearborn MI 2008
- Design of Experiments (DoE) in Engine Development II Ropke Karsten Expert Verlag 2005
- Dynamic Model-Based Calibration Optimization: An Introduction and Application to Diesel Engines Atkinson C.M. Mott G.E. SAE Technical Paper Series No. 2005-01-0026
- Model-Based Transient Calibration Optimization for Next Generation Diesel Engines Atkinson C.M. Allain M. Savonen C. US Department of Energy Diesel Engine Emissions Reduction Conference Chicago IL 2005
- Fuel Efficiency and Emissions Optimization of Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines Using Model-Based Calibration Optimization Atkinson C.M. Allain M. Zhang H. Kalish Y. Savonen C. US Department of Energy Diesel Engine-Efficiency and Emissions Research Conference Detroit MI 2007
- Introduction to Modeling and Control of Internal Combustion Engine Systems Guzzella L. Onder C.H. Springer 2004
- Automotive Control Systems Kiencke U. Nielsen C. Springer 2000
- Effect of Variable Geometry Turbine (VGT) on Diesel Engine and Vehicle System Transient Response Filipi Z. Wang Y. Assanis D. SAE Technical Paper Series No. 2001-01-1247
- Genetic Algorithm for Dynamic Calibration of Engine's Actuators Omron R. Younes R. Champoussin J-C. Fedeli D. Masson F. Guerrassi N. SAE Technical Paper Series No. 2007-01-1079