This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Practical Tool for Residual Gas Estimation in IC Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As engines advance toward greater efficiency and lower emissions, there is increasing need for accurate real-time residual models for engine control. Both the formulation of real-time-capable models and the development of methods for measuring or estimating residuals during engine calibration have been difficult and longstanding problems.
This paper describes development of a low-cost, easy-to-use tool for on-line residual estimation in all cylinders of an IC engine. The basic method, hardware required, and software structure are described.
The residual estimation tool was applied to estimate residuals over the operating map in all cylinders of a six-cylinder direct-injection SI engine equipped with dual-independent phasers. The data was used to calibrate a real-time residual model integrated into the engine management system. Validation data confirming accuracy of the model are presented.
CitationSellnau, M., Sinnamon, J., Oberdier, L., Dase, C. et al., "Development of a Practical Tool for Residual Gas Estimation in IC Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0695, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0695.
SI Combustion and Direct Injection SI Engine Technology, 2009
Number: SP-2241 ; Published: 2009-04-20
Number: SP-2241 ; Published: 2009-04-20
- Alger, T. and Woodbridge, S., “Measurement and Analysis of the Residual Gas Fraction in an SI Engine with Variable Valve Timing,” SAE Paper 2004-01-1356.
- Giansetti P., et al., “A Model for Residual Gas Fraction in Spark Ignition Engines,” SAE Paper 2002-01-1735.
- Cho, H., et al., “Measurements and Modeling of Residual Gas Fraction in SI Engines,” SAE Paper 2001-01-1910.
- Giansetti, P. and Higelin, P., “Residual Gas Fraction Measurement and Estimation in Spark Ignition Engines,” SAE Paper 2007-01-1900.
- Mladek, M. and Onder, C.H., “A Model for the Estimation of Inducted Air Mass and Residual Gas Fraction Using Cylinder Pressure Measurements,” SAE Paper 2000-01-0958.
- Fox, J.W., Cheng, W.K., Heywood, J.B., “A Model for Predicting Residual Gas Fraction in Spark–Ignition Engines,” SAE Paper 931025, 1993.
- Senecal, P.K., Xin, J. and Reitz, R.D., “Predictions of Residual Gas Fraction in IC Engines,” SAE Paper 962052.
- Koehler, U. and Bargende, M., “A Model for a Fast Prediction of the In-Cylinder Residual Gas Mass,” SAE Paper 2004-01-3053
- Cavina, N., Siviero, C. and Suglia, R., “Residual Gas Fraction Estimation: Application to a GDI Engine with Variable Valve Timing and EGR,” SAE Paper 2004-01-2943.
- Amer, A.A. and Zhong, L., “A Semi-Empirical Model for Fast Residual Gas Fraction Estimation in Gasoline Engines,” SAE Paper 2006-01-3236.
- Oberg, P. and Eriksson, L., “Control Oriented Modeling of the Gas Exchange Process in Variable Cam Timing Engines,” SAE Paper 2006-01-0660.
- Leroy, T., et al., “Modeling Fresh Air Charge and Residual Gas Fraction on a Dual Independent Variable Valve Timing SI Engine,” SAE Paper 2008-01-0983.
- Sinnamon, J.F. and Sellnau, M.C., “A New Technique for Residual Gas Estimation and Modeling in Engines,” SAE Paper 2008-01-0093.
- Miller, R., et al., “Comparison of Analytically and Experimentally Obtained Residual Fractions and NOx Emissions in Spark-Ignited Engines,” SAE Paper 982562, 1998.
- Quader, A.A. and Majkowski, R.F., “Cycle-By-Cycle Mixture Strength and Residual-Gas Measurements During Cold Starting,” SAE Paper 1999-01-1107.
- Westin, F., Grandin, B. and Angstrom, H., “The Influence of Residual Gases on Knock in Turbocharged SI Engines,” SAE Paper 2000-01-2840.
- Schwarz, F. and Spicher, U., “Determination of Residual Gas Fraction in IC Engines,” SAE Paper 2003-01-3148.
- Karagiorgis, S., et al., “Residual Gas Fraction Measurement and Estimation on a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine Utilizing the Negative Valve Overlap Strategy,” SAE Paper 2006-01-3276.
- Shayler, P.J. and Alger, L., “Experimental Investigations of Intake and Exhaust Valve Timing Effects on Charge Dilution by Residuals, Fuel Consumption and Emissions at Part Load,” SAE Paper 2007-01-0478.
- Collings, N., et al., “Cycle Resolved Measurements of In-cylinder NOx Concentration in a Gasoline Engine,” JSAE Paper 20065423, 2006.
- Collings, N., et al., “In-Cylinder Sampling of IC Engines using Modified GDI Injectors – the CSV,” JSAE Paper 20055401, JSAE Annual Congress 2005.
- Prucka, R.G., et al., “An Evaluation of Residual Gas Fraction Measurement Techniques in a High Degree of Freedom Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Paper 2008-01-0094.
- Davis, P. and Peckham, M. S., “Cycle-by-Cycle Gasoline Engine Cold Start Measurement of Residual Gas and AFR using a Fast Response CO&CO2 Analyzer,” SAE Paper 2008-01-1649.
- Liu, J.P., et al., “A Model for On-Line Monitoring of In-Cylinder Residual Gas Fraction (RGF) and Mass Flowrate in Gasoline Engines,” SAE Paper 2006-01-0656.
- Matekunas, F.A., “Engine Combustion Control with Ignition Timing by Pressure Ratio Management,” U.S. Patent 4,622,939, 1986.
- GT-POWER Software, Version 6.2, Gamma Technologies Inc, Westmont, Illinois.
- Davis, R. and Patterson, G., “Cylinder Pressure Data Quality Checks and Procedures to Maximize Data Accuracy,” SAE Paper 2006-01-1346.
- Engine Position Tracking VI, Drivven, Inc., San Antonio, Texas.