This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Control Oriented Modeling of Turbocharged (TC) Spark Ignition (SI) Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper proposes a new systematic procedure for model reduction of TC SI engines. The technique is based on the identification of time scale separation within the dynamics of various engine state variables. The model reduction is performed in two stages. First stage is to use dynamic properties of the engine states to obtain reduced order slow and fast time scale subsystems. Then in the second stage, physical characteristics are considered to isolate fast pressures. As a result a library of the control oriented engine models is obtained. The limitation of the reduced order models as a true representation of original model is first gauged qualitatively by the application of perturbation theory and then characterized quantitatively by means of simulations. Various assumptions under which these model reductions are applicable are presented and their validity in the context of the engine are discussed.
CitationSharma, R., Nesic, D., and Manzie, C., "Control Oriented Modeling of Turbocharged (TC) Spark Ignition (SI) Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0684, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0684.
- Eriksson L. Nielson L. Brugard J. Bergstrom J. Pettersson F. Andersson P. 2002 Modeling of a Turbocharged Spark ignition Engine Annual Reviews in Control 26 129 137
- Heywood J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals Mc-Graw Hill 1988
- Guzzella L. Onder C.H. Introduction to Modeling and Control of Internal Combustion Engine Springer 2004
- Eriksson L. Frie S. Onder C. Guzzella L. Control and optimization of turbocharged spark ignited engines 15th Trinnial World Congress Barcelona, Spain 2002
- Andersson P. Eriksson L. 2004 Cylinder air charge estimator in turbocharged SI-engine SAE Technical Paper 2004-01
- Andersson P. Air charge estimation in turbocharged spark ignition engines PhD thesis Department of Electrical Engineering, Linkoping University 2005
- Khalil H. K. Nonlinear Systems Prentice Hall 3rd 2002
- Hendricks E. Engine modelling for control applications: a critical survey Meccanica 32 5 387 396 1997
- Muller M. Hendricks E. Sorenson S. C. Mean value modelling of turbocharged spark ignition engines SAE technical paper 125 145 1998
- Moraal P. Kolmanovsky I. 1999 Turbocharger modeling for automotive control applications SAE, 1999-01-0908
- Nelson S.A. Filipi Z.S. Assanis D.N. The use of neural networks for matching compressors with diesel engines Spring technical conference ICE-26-3 35 42 1996
- Jensen J.P. Kristensen A.F. Sorenson S.C. Houbak N. Hendricks E. Mean value modeling of a small turbocharged diesel engine SAE 910070
- Mueller M. Mean value modeling of turbocharged spark ignition engines Master's thesis DTU 1997
- Watson H.C. Milkins E.E. Roberts K. Bryce W. 1983 Turbocharging for Fuel Efficiency SAE, 830014
- Eriksson L. 2007 Modeling and control of turbocharged SI and DI engine Oil and gas science and technology 62 4 523 538