This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on a Device for Controlling Visual Information to Improve Driver Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
We aimed to develop a new vehicle device for improving driver performance. In human-subject experiments using a driving simulator we found that optical flow in the near region might cause inaccurate steering, while optical flow in the far region helped to improve the perception of the driving direction, thereby reducing the driver’s workload. Based on these findings, a triangular-shaped occluding board was developed for reducing optical flow in the near region, and installed in an actual vehicle. The device improved the driver’s head stability and steering stability, suggesting that driving performance can be enhanced by controlling visual information.
CitationKishida, E., Uenuma, K., Iwao, K., Matsuzaki, N. et al., "A Study on a Device for Controlling Visual Information to Improve Driver Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0548, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0548.
- Land, M. F. Lee, D. N. 1993 Where we look when we steer Nature 369 742 744
- Boer, E. R. 1996 Tangent point oriented curve negotiation Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, Proceedings of the 1996 IEEE 7 12
- Donges, E. 1978 A two-level model of driver steering behavior Human Factors 20 No. 6 691 707
- Land, M. Horwood, J. 1995 Which parts of the road guide steering? Nature 377 339 340
- Kageyama, I. Kuriyagawa, Y. Ohsuga, M. Horie, Y. Shimoyama, O. 2005 Study on Evaluation of Driver’s Behavior at Running on Narrow Road Proceedings of 2005 JSAE Annual Congress No. 129–05 5 10
- Salvucci D. D. Gray R. 2004 A two-point visual control model of steering Perception 33 1233 1248
- Gibson, J. J. 1950 The perception of the visual world Houghton Mifflin
- Gibson, J. J. 1966 The Senses Considered as Perceptual Systems Houghton Mifflin
- Nakayama, K. 1985 Biological image motion processing A review. Vision Research 25 625 660
- Hildreth, E. Royden, C. S. 1998 Computing observer motion from optical flow Watanabe , T. High-level motion processing Bradford Book
- Fajen, B. R. 2001 Steering toward a goal by equalizing taus Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance 27 No. 4 953 968
- Wilkie, R Wann, J 2003 Controlling steering and judging heading: retinal flow, visual direction, and extraretinal information Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance 29 No. 2 363 378
- Wann, J. Land, M. 2000 Steering with or without the flow: is the retrieval of heading necessary? Trends in Cognitive Sciences 4 No. 8 319 324
- Nakayama, O. Boer, E. R. Futami, T. Nakamura, T. 1999 Development of a Steering Entropy Method for Evaluating Driver Workload Proceedings of 1999 SAE International Congress