This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Experimental Study of a Gasoline HCCI Engine Using the Blow-Down Super Charge System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The objective of this study is to extend the high load operation limit of a gasoline HCCI engine. A new system extending the high load HCCI operation limit was proposed, and the performance of the system was experimentally demonstrated. The proposed system consists of two new techniques. The first one is the “Blow-down super charging (BDSC) system”, in which, EGR gas can be super charged into a cylinder during the early stage of compression stroke by using the exhaust blow-down pressure wave from another cylinder phased 360 degrees later/earlier in the firing order. The other one is “EGR guide” for generating a large thermal stratification inside the cylinder to reduce the rate of in-cylinder pressure rise (dP/dθ) at high load HCCI operation. The EGR guides consist of a half-circular part attached on the edge of the exhaust ports and the piston head which has a protuberant surface to control the mixing between hot EGR gas and intake air-fuel mixture. The experiments were carried out using a 4-cylinder port fuel injection engine with a compression ratio of 12. As a result, HCCI operation at high loads, up to an IMEP of 650 kPa at an engine speed of 1500 rpm, was achieved.
CitationKuboyama, T., Moriyoshi, Y., Hatamura, K., Yamada, T. et al., "An Experimental Study of a Gasoline HCCI Engine Using the Blow-Down Super Charge System," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0496, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0496.
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engines, 2009
Number: SP-2242; Published: 2009-04-20
Number: SP-2242; Published: 2009-04-20
- Aoyama T. Hattori Y. Mizuta J. Sato Y. “An Experimental Study on Premixed - Charge Compression Ignition Gasoline Engine” SAE Technical Paper, No. 960081 1996
- Willand J. Nieberding R. G. Vent G. Enderle C. “The Knock Syndrome - Its Cure and Potential” SAE Technical Paper, No. 982483 1998
- Wolters P. Solver W. Geiger J. Duesmann M. Dilthey J. “Controlled Auto Ignition Combustion Process with an Electromechanical Valve Train” SAE Technical Paper, No. 2003-01-0032 2003
- Urata Y. Awasaka M. Takanashi J. Kakinuma T. Hakozaki T. Umemoto A. “A Study of Gasoline-Fuelled HCCI Engine Equipped with Electromagnetic Valve Train” SAE Technical Paper. No. 2004-01-1898 2004
- Urushihara T. Hiraya K. Kakuhou A. Itoh T. “Expansion of HCCI Operation Region by The Combination of Direct Fuel Injection” SAE Technical Paper, No. 2003-01-0749 2003
- Hyvonen J. Haraldsson G. Johansson B. “Operating range in a Multi-Cylinder HCCI Engine Using Variable Compression Ratio” SAE Technical Paper, No. 2003-01-3214 2003
- Hyvonen J. Haraldsson G. Johansson B. “Super Charging HCCI to Extend the Operating Range in a Multi Cylinder VCR-HCCI Engine” SAE Technical Paper, No. 2003-01-3214 2003
- Takanashi J. Awasaka M. Kakinuma T. Takazawa M Urata Y. “A STUDY OF GASOLINE HCCI ENGINE EPUIPED WITH AN ELECTROMAGNETIC VVT MECHANISM - INCREASING THE HIGHER LOAD OPERATIONALRANGE WITH THE INTER - CYLINDER EGR BOOST SYSTEM” 2006
- Sojoberg M. Dec J. E. Babajimopoulos A. Assanis D. “Comparing Enhanced Natural Thermal Stratification Against Retarded Combustion Phasing for Smoothing of HCCI Heat-Release Rate” SAE Technical Paper, No. 2004-01-2994 2004
- Sojoberg M. Dec J. E. Cernansky N. P. “Potential of Thermal Stratification and Combustion Retard for Reducing Pressure-Rise Rates in HCCI Engines, Based on Multi-Zone Modeling and Experiments” SAE Technical Paper, No. 2005-01-0113 2005
- Kumano K. Iida N. “Analysis of the Effect of Charge Inhomogeneity on HCCI Combustion by Chemiluminescence Measurement” SAE Technical Paper, No. 2004-01-1902 2004
- Hatamura K. “A Study on HCCI (Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition) Gasoline Engine Supercharged by Exhaust Blow Down Pressure” SAE Technical Paper, No. 2007-01-1873 2007 Morita A. Hatamura K. Yamada T. Uesugi N. “A Study on HCCI (Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition) Gasoline Engine Supercharged by Exhaust Blow Down Pressure (Third Report)” Review of Automotive Engineering 29 61 64 2008
- Morita A. Hatamura K. Yamada T. Uesugi N. “A Study on HCCI (Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition) Gasoline Engine Supercharged by Exhaust Blow Down Pressure (Third Report)” Review of Automotive Engineering 29 61 64 2008