This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Upfront Body Structural Optimization using Parametric Concept Modeling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Growing demand for fuel-efficient or light weight vehicle has become a challenge for vehicle development. Upfront engineering process provides more opportunities for engineers to improve body weight efficiency. To accelerate the upfront body development process, the parametric concept modeling technology is commonly employed to generate parametric three-dimensional geometry, joints, modular components, concept welding, and finite element meshes. The topology optimization which determines the best structural layout without weight penalty has also been used during the conceptual design stage. The objective of this research is to explore the feasibility of integrating the advanced parametric concept modeling and both topology optimization and structural optimization technologies into upfront body architecture development process. The topology optimization identifies the critical body components and the parametric concept modeling methodology is used to parameterize body geometry and section properties. A process integration design optimization (PIDO) tool is then used to facilitate the whole process from the tasks of design of experiment sampling, job management control, response surface generation and optimization. A vehicle body example is used as an example to demonstrate the feasibility of the proposed design process.
CitationChuang, C., Zhou, S., Ang, W., Yang, R. et al., "Upfront Body Structural Optimization using Parametric Concept Modeling," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0343, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0343.
- Yang, R. J. Chuang, C. H. Che, X. Soto, C. “New Applications of Topology Optimization in Automotive Industry,” International Journal of Vehicle Design 23 ½ 2000
- Fujii, S. Shibuya, S. Sato, Y. Jankowski, U. Muller-Bechtel, M. Schneider, P. “New Body in White Concept through Topology Optimization,” VDI-Berichte 1846 2004
- Bendsoe, M. P. Kikuchi, “Generating Optimal Topologies in Structural Design Using a Homogenization Method,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 71 1988
- Yang, R. J. Chuang, C. H. “Optimal Topology Design Using Linear Programming,” Computers & Structures 52 No. 2 1994
- Stuhec, U. Zhou, S. Shahidi, B. Zimmer, H. “CAE Concept Design: a Key Enabler in Virtual Product Development” Proceeding of Human-Computer Interaction International Las Vagas, Nevada 2005
- Zhou, S. Lee, M. Cai, H. Shahidi, B. “Upfront Body Structure Development Process Using Parametric Concept Modelling” Proceeding of 2006 International Auto Body Congress Novi, Michigan 2006
- Zhou, S. Chuang, C. H. Ang, W. Lee, M. Yang, R. “Upfront Body Architecture Optimization Using Parametric Concept Modeling Technology” 2008 Ford Global NVH Conference Dearborn 2008
- Xu, Simon “Use of Topology Design Exploration and Parametric Shape Optimization Process to Development Highly Efficient and Lightweight Vehicle Body Structure,” International Automotive Body Conference Berlin 2007
- Zimmer, H. Prabhuwaingankar, M. “Implicit Parametric Crash and NVH Analysis Models in the Vehicle Concept Design Phase,” LS-DYNA Anwenderforum Bamburg 2005
- Sobieski, J. S. Kodiyalam, S. Yang, R. J. 2001 “Optimization of Car Body under Constraints of Noise, Vibration, and Harshness (NVH), and Crash,” Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 22 No. 4 295 305
- Kodiyalam, S. Yang. R. J. Gu. L. Tho C. 2002 “Large Scale Multidisciplinary Optimization of a Vehicle System in a Scalable, High Performance Computing Environment,” ASME Pittsburg
- Hoope, A. Kaufmann, M. Lauber, B. 2005 “Multidisciplinary Optimization Considering Crash and NVH Loadcases,” ATZ/MTZ Virtual Product Creation
- Craig, K. J. Stander, N. Dooge, D. A. Varadappa, S. 2002 “Multidisciplinary Design Optimization of Automotive Crashworthiness and NVH using Response Surface Methods,” AIAA-2002-5507, 9th AIAA/ISSMO Symposium on Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Atlanta
- Redhe, M. Nilsson, L. 2004 “Optimization of the new Saab 9-3 exposed to Impact Load using a Space Mapping Technique,” Structural Multidisciplinary Optimization 27 411 420
- Gu, L. Yang, R. J. 2003 “Recent Applications on Reliability-Based Optimization of Automotive Structures,” SAE 2003-01-0152
- Gu, L. Yang, R. J. “On Reliability-Based Optimization Methods for Automotive Structures,” 2006 International Journal Materials and Product Technology 25 Nos. 1/2/3
- Choi, B. L. Choi, D. H. Kim, H. Lee, H. “An Integrated Chassis Design Procedure Using the PIDO Technology,” SAE 2008-01-0884 , Detroit 2008