This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Avoiding Visible Condensation Inside Automotive Tail Lamps
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To prevent malfunctions and/or cosmetic defects in new tail lamps designs due to visible condensation, anti-fog coatings are a very advantageous solution in addition to venting systems. The paper outlines the fundamentals of condensation phenomena in lighting and the value and limits of venting systems. Beyond these limitations, a remarkable development has been achieved by applying nanotechnology in combination with sol-gel chemistry and series production technologies such as spray coating to solve this significant problem. In this paper we report about the automotive mass production experiences in coating transparent polymers such as PMMA, Poly(methyl methacrylate), with respect to design, quality and environmental considerations.
|Flow Characteristics and Formation of Condensation in Automobile Tail Lamps
|Effect of Exterior Airflow on Automotive Lamp Venting
|Effect of Moisture Absorption in Plastic on Automotive Lamp Venting
CitationSevillano, P., Schmidt, T., Alers, A., and Schuster, B., "Avoiding Visible Condensation Inside Automotive Tail Lamps," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0340, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0340.
- Maschkio T. 2 nd L-LAB, Summerschool Unversity of Paderborn 2004
- Hoines Lilian Jiao Jianzhong SAE Technical Paper × 980316 “Environment Leading to Condensation in Automotive Lamps”
- “COATING FOR PERMANENT HYDROPHILIZATION OF SURFACES, AND ITS USE”
- Haacke F.W Nanotechnology anti-fog coatings in automotive lighting and sensor applications Wördenweber B. Wallaschek J. Boyce P. Automotive Lighting and Human Vision Springer Verlag Berlin 2007
- Schmidt T. Cooperation with Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises boosts commercialization 49 57 Fecht H.-J. Matthias W. The Nano-Micro Interface Wiley VCH Verlag Weinheim 2004
- Schmidt T. Antifog coatings-transferring Nanotechnology into Automotive Series Production 20 23 NanoS 02.07 Wiley VCH Verlag Weinheim 2007