This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
High Speed H 2 O Concentration Measurements Using Absorption Spectroscopy to Monitor Exhaust Gas
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper demonstrates the potential for fast absorption spectroscopy measurements in diesel-engine exhaust to track H2O concentration transients. Wavelength-agile absorption spectroscopy is an optical technique that measures broadband absorption spectra between 10 kHz and 100 MHz. From these measured spectra, gas temperature and absorber concentrations can be determined.
We introduce a laser spectroscopy system for high speed (10 μs) diesel exhaust measurements in the presence of significant particulate matter. The sensor can be broadly applicable for understanding the dynamics of EGR distribution, cycle-to-cycle stability, cylinder-to-cylinder charge uniformity, and NOX regeneration strategies. The method precision is 10% and 5%, for individual 10-μs measurements and 2-ms averaged measurements, respectively. The sensitivity or detection limit of the measurement is 0.5% H2O.
CitationKranendonk, L., Parks, J., Prikhodko, V., and Partridge, W., "High Speed H2O Concentration Measurements Using Absorption Spectroscopy to Monitor Exhaust Gas," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0239, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0239.
- Regitz, S. Collings, N. Study of cycle-by-cycle air-to-fuel ratio determined from the exhaust gas composition and a novel fast response device based on a wide band lambda sensor presented at SAE Powertrains, Fuels and Lubricants Meeting, 2008-01-2439 2008
- Kranendonk, L.A. Xinliang, A. Caswell, A.W. Herold, R.E. et. al 2007 High speed engine gas thermometry by Fourier-domain mode-locked laser absorption spectroscopy Opt. Express 15 23
- Kranendonk, L.A. Huber, R. Fujimoto, J.G. Sanders, S.T. 2007 Wavelength-agile sensor applied for HCCI engine measurements Proc. Comb. Symp. 31 1
- Kranendonk, L.A. Walewski, J.W. Sanders, S.T. Huber, R. Fujimoto, J.G. Measurements of gas temperature in a HCCI engine using a Fourier domain mode locking laser presented at SAE World Congress, 2006-01-1366 2006
- Mattison, D.W. Jeffries, J.B. Hanson, R.K. Steeper, R.R. et. al 2007 In-cylinder gas temperature and water concentration measurements in HCCI engines using a multiplexed-wavelength diode-laser system: Sensor development and initial demonstration Proc. Comb. Symp. 31 1
- Rieker, G.B. Li, H. Liu, X. Liu, J.T.C et. al 2007 Rapid measurements of temperature and H 2 O concentration in IC engines with a spark plug-mounted diode laser sensor Proc. Comb. Symp. 31 1
- Kranendonk, L.A. Caswell, A.W. Sanders, S.T. 2007 Robust method for calculating temperature, pressure, and absorber mole fraction from broadband spectra Appl. Opt 46 19
- Rothman, L.S. Jacquemart, D. Barbe, A. Benner, et. al 2005 The HITRAN 2004 molecular spectroscopic database J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transf 96 5
- Huber, R. Wojtkowski, M. Fujimoto, J.G. 2006 Fourier Domain Mode Locking (FDML): A new laser operating regime and applications for optical coherence tomography Opt. Express 14 8
- Huber, R. Wojtkowski, M. Taira, K. Fujimoto, J.G. 2006 Amplified, frequency swept lasers for frequency domain reflectometry and OCT imaging: design and scaling principles Opt. Express 13 9
- Swartz, M. Huff, S.P. Parks J.E. II, West, B.H. Intra-Catalyst Reductant Chemistry and NOx Conversion of Diesel Lean NO X Traps at Various Stages of Sulfur Loading presented at SAE Powertrain & Fluid Systems Conference and Exhibition, 2006-01-3423 2006
- Huff, S. P. West, B.H. Parks J.E. II, Swartz, M. et. al In-Cylinder Regeneration of Lean NOx Trap Catalysts Using Low Temperature Combustion presented at SAE World Congress, 2006-01-1416 2006
- Parks J. E. II, West, B.H. Huff, S.P. Characterization of Lean NOx Trap Catalysts with In-Cylinder Regeneration Strategies presented at SAE World Congress, 2008-01-0448 2008
- Parks J.E. II, Huff, S.P. Pihl, J.A. Choi, J.S. West, B.H. Nitrogen selectivity in lean NO X catalysis with diesel engine in-cylinder regeneration presented at SAE Powertrain & Fluid Systems Conference, 2005-01-3876 2005
- Riegel, J. Neumann, H. Wiedenmann, H.M. 2002 Exhaust gas sensors for automotive emission control Solid State Ionics 152 A
- Ramamoorthy, R. Dutta, P.K. Akbar, S.A. 2003 Oxygen sensors: Materials, methods, designs and applications J. Mater. Sci. 38 21