This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Experimental Characterization of a Magnetorheological Fluid Clutch
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Magnetorheological fluid (MRF) clutches are expected to be used in several automotive systems such as auxiliary engine devices, active differentials, and automatic transmissions. An experimental MRF clutch has been developed at the University of Zagreb, in order to support MRF clutch modeling and control research. The paper first presents calculation of the main clutch design parameters and describes the clutch mechatronic system. Next, the clutch static and dynamic behaviors are experimentally characterized. Finally, a model of MRF clutch dynamics is outlined, and characteristic model validation results are presented.
CitationDeur, J., Libl, D., Herold, Z., Hancock, M. et al., "Design and Experimental Characterization of a Magnetorheological Fluid Clutch," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0142, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0142.
- Carlson J. D. and Jolly M.R., “MR Fluid, Foam and Elastomer Devices”, Mechatronics, Vol. 10, pp. 555-569, 2000.
- Jolly M. R., Bender J.W., and Carlson J.D., “Properties and Applications of Commercial Magnetorheological Fluids”, SPIE 5th Annual Int. Symposium on Smart Structures and Materials, San Diego, CA, 1998.
- Lampe D., Thess A., and Dotzauer C., “MRF-Clutch-Design Considerations and Performance”, The 6th International Conference on New Actuators, Actuator 1998, Bremen, Germany, 1998.
- Lampe D. and Grundmann R., “Transitional and Solid State Behavior of a Magnetorheological Clutch”, The 7th International Conference on New Actuators, Actuator 2000, Bremen, Germany, 2000.
- Lampe, D. “Untersuchungen zum Einsatz von magnetorheologischen Fluiden in von magnetorheologischen Fluiden in Kupplungen”, Dissertation (Ph. D. Thesis), TU Dresden, 2000.
- Spencer B. F. Jr., Dyke S. J., Sain M. K., and Carlson J. D., “Phenomenological Model of a Magneto-rheological Damper”, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 123, No. 3, pp. 230-238, 1997.
- Takesue N., Furusho J., and Kiyota Y., “Fast Response MR-Fluid Actuator”, JSME International Journal, Series C, Vol. 47, No. 3, pp. 783-791, 2004.
- Carlson J. D., Catanzarite D. M., and Clair K. A. St.. “Commercial Magneto-Rheological Fluid Devices”, Proc. of the 5th International Conference on ER Fluids, Magneto-Rheological Suspensions and Associated Technology, Sheffield, pp. 20-28, 1995.
- …, “Lord Corporation Magnetorheological (MR) Fluid for Automotive Damping System”, IIR Suspension and Damping Conference, www.lordcorp.com
- Usoro P., Magnetizable Fluid Proves a Plus in a Clutch Situation - New Radiator Fan Drive Boasts the Latest in Cool, GM Research & Development Note, www.gm.com/company/careers/career_paths/rnd/prj_magnetorheological.html
- Kavlicoglu B., Gordaninejad F., Evensel C., Fuchs A., and Korol G., “A Semi-Active, High-Torque, Magnetorheological Fluid Limited Slip Differential Clutch”, ASME Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, Vol. 128, pp. 604-610, 2006.
- Wheals J. C., Baker H., Ramsey K., and Turner W., Torque Vectoring AWD Driveline: Design, Simulation, Capabilities and Control, SAE paper No. 2004-01-0863, 2004.
- Feltman J., Ganley J., Hamilton S., and Gradu M., “Mechatronic Torque Vectoring System with Enhanced Controllability for Augmenting the Vehicle Agility and Safety”, SAE paper No. 2006-01-0579, 2006.
- …, “MRF-132DG Magneto-Rheological Fluid”, Lord Corporation, www.lordcorp.com
- Leonhard W., Control of Electrical Drives, Springer Verlag (3rd edition), 2001.
- Armstrong-Hélouvry B., Dupont P., and de Wit C. Canudas, “A survey of models, analysis tools and compensation methods for the control of machines with friction”, Automatica, Vol. 30, pp. 1083-1138, 1994.
- Karnopp D. C., “Computer Simulation of Stick-Slip Friction in Mechanical Dynamic Systems”, ASME Journal of Dynamical Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 107, pp. 100-103, 1985.
- Deur J., Asgari J., Hrovat D., and Kovač P., “Modeling and Analysis of Automatic Transmission Engagement Dynamics - Linear Case”, ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 128, pp. 263-277, 2006.
- Ivanović V., Herold Z., Deur J., Hancock M., Assadian F., “Experimental Characterization of Wet Clutch dynamics”, SAE paper draft No. 09PFL-0542.
- Deur J., Herold Z., Kostelac M., “Modeling of Electromagnetic Circuit of a Magnetorheological Fluid Clutch”, IEEE CCA (submitted), St. Petersburg, Russia, 2009.