This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Surface Pretreatments on Adhesive Bonding and Corrosion Resistance of AM60B, AZ31-H24, and AM30 Magnesium
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study reports the performance of three different automotive magnesium substrate materials (AM60B diecastings, AZ31-H24 sheet, and AM30 extrusions), each bonded to a common aluminum reference material with two different toughened adhesives. The magnesium substrates were pretreated with six different commercial pretreatments both with and without a final fused-powder polymeric topcoat. These samples were then evaluated by comparing initial lap-shear strength to the lap-shear strength after cyclic-corrosion testing. Additionally, use of a scribe through the polymer primer permitted assessment of: 1) distance of corrosion undercutting from the scribe (filiform), and 2) percent corrosion over the area of the coupon. The results showed that the performance of each magnesium pretreatment varied on cast AM60B, sheet AZ31-H24, and extruded AM30 substrates.
CitationLazarz, K., McCune, R., Wang, W., and Mallick, P., "Effect of Surface Pretreatments on Adhesive Bonding and Corrosion Resistance of AM60B, AZ31-H24, and AM30 Magnesium," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0037, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0037.
- Hanawath, J. Nelson, C. Peloubet, T. "Corrosion Studies of Magnesium and Its Alloys,"
- Trans. Am. Inst. Mining & Met. Engr. 147 1942 273 299
- Canton, P. "Magnesium – an old Material with New Applications," Materials & Design 12 6 1991 P306 316
- Albright D. Ruben, T. Davis, J. "High Ductility Magnesium Alloys in Automotive Applications" Light Metal Age 1992
- Hawke, D. Olsen, A. "Corrosion Properties of New Magnesium Alloys." SAE Technical Paper Series
- Blanchard, P. Bretz, G. Subramanian, S. deVries, J. Syvret, A. MacDonald, A. Jolley, P. "Application of Magnesium Die Casting to Vehicle Closures." SAE Technical Paper Series
- Balzer, J. Dellock, P. Maj, M. Cole, G. Reed, D. Davis, T. Lawson, T. Simonds, F. “Structural Magnesium Front End Support Assembly,” SAE Technical Paper Series 2003-01-0186
- Luo, A. McCune, R. Beals, R. Logan, S. McCarty, E. Allison, J. Maj, M. Wagner, D. Lee, T. Osborne, R. Ouimet, L. Quinn, J. Verma, R. "Magnesium Front-End Development – USAMP Activities" Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 2007 Congress Detroit, Michigan, USA April 16-19, 2007
- Gray, J. Luan, B. "Protective Coatings on Magnesium and its Alloys – A Critical Review" Journal of Alloys and Compounds 336 2002 P88 113
- Blanchard, P. Hill, J. Bretz, G. McCune, R. "Evaluation of Corrosion Protection Methods for Magnesium Alloys in Automotive Applications TMS 2005
- Gao, G. Ricketts, M. "Evaluation of Protective Coatings on Magnesium for Phosphate Process Compatibility and Galvanic Corrosion Protection." SAE Technical Paper Series 2002-01-0081
- SAE J1523 “Metal to Metal Overlap Shear Strength Test for Automotive Type Adhesive,” 1993
- Ford Laboratory Test Method BI 123-01 "Painted Sheet Metal Corrosion Test (Laboratory Simulated Arizona Proving Ground Test)," 2001