This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modelling of Riveted Joints with a New Rivet Element
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Riveting is a well established technology in the manufacturing of aeronautical structures as well as in the automotive industries. Despite its simplicity, the rivet presents a local stiffness that is not easy to properly model within a large finite element analysis. However, precision in the local stiffness evaluation is essential to perform any structural analysis when several rivet are applied in a joint structure. The result is that any rivet requires a local mesh refinement or, and this is the most common case, a drastic simplification of its structural modelling characteristics. In the present paper the structural behavior of a riveted lap joint connection was investigated experimentally and numerically using a new rivet finite element. The Rivet Element, based on a closed-form solution of a theoretical model of the rivet joint, is able to precisely evaluate, in FE analysis, both local and overall stiffness of riveted joints with a very low contribution of dofs. A comparison with a joint model performed with very refined non-linear 3D model of rivet and with experimental data is performed and a good agreement is demonstrated.
CitationVivio, F. and Ferracci, M., "Modelling of Riveted Joints with a New Rivet Element," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0025, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0025.
- Urban, M.R. 2003 Analysis of the fatigue life of riveted sheet metal helicopter airframe joints International Journal of Fatigue 25 9 1013 1026
- Al-Emrani, M. Kliger, R. 2003 FE analysis of stringer-to-floor-beam connections in riveted railway bridges Journal of Constructional Steel Research 59 7 803 818
- Langrad, B. Deletombe, E. Markiewicz, E. Drazetic, P. 2001 Riveted joint modelling for numerical analysis of airframe crashworthiness Finite Element in Analysis and Design 38 1 21 44
- Karaoglu, C. Sefa Kuralay N. 2002 Stress analysis of a truck chassis with riveted joints Finite Elements in Analysis and Design 38 12 1115 1130
- Xiong, Y. Bedair, O. K. 1999 Analytical and Finite Element Modeling of Riveted Lap Joints in Aircraft Structure AIAA Journal 37 1 93 99
- Vivio, F. Modelling rivets in the finite element analysis SAE world congress, 2007-01-1362 2007
- Ho, K.C. Chau, K.Y. 1997 An infinite plane loaded by a rivet of a different material International Journal of Solids Structures 34 19 2477 2496
- Vivio, F. Ferrari, G. Salvini, P. Vullo, V. 2002 Enforcing of an Analytical Solution of Spot Welds into Finite Element Analysis for Fatigue-Life Estimation International Journal of Computer Applications in Technology 15 4/5 218 229
- Salvini, P. Vivio, F. Vullo, V. 2000 A Spot Weld Finite Element for Structural Modelling International Journal of Fatigue 22 8 645 656
- Salvini, P. Scardecchia, E. Vivio, F. 1998 Fatigue life prediction on complex spot welded joints SAE Journal of Materials and Manufacturing 106 5 967 975