This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fatigue of Spot Friction Welded Joints of Mg-Mg, Al-Al and Al-Mg Alloys
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Spot friction welding shows advantages over resistance spot welding for joining light alloys for automotive applications. In this research, fatigue behaviors of spot friction welded joints in lap shear specimens of AM-60 magnesium alloy and AA 5754 aluminum alloy were investigated. Static and fatigue tests were conducted with Mg-Mg, Al-Al and Al-Mg specimens. Fatigue S-N curves were obtained for all these specimens using load-controlled fatigue tests. Finite element analysis was conducted to investigate the stress distribution and the location of maximum stresses in spot friction welded joints in Mg-Mg specimens.
CitationMallick, P. and Agarwal, L., "Fatigue of Spot Friction Welded Joints of Mg-Mg, Al-Al and Al-Mg Alloys," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0024, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0024.
- Pan, T.-Y. Friction Stir Spot Welding (FSSW) - A Literature Review, presented at SAE World Congress, 2007-01-1702 2007
- Lin, P.-C. Lin, S.-H. Pan, J. Pan, T. Nicholson, J.M. Garman, M.A. Microstructure and Failure Mechanisms of Spot Friction Welds in Lap-Shear Specimens of Aluminum 6111-T4 Sheets SAE World Congress, 2004-01-1330 2004
- Arul, S.G. Pan, T. Lin, P.-C. Pan, J Feng, Z. Santella, M. Microstructures and Failure Mechanisms of Spot Friction Welds in Lap-Shear Specimens of Aluminum 5754 Sheets SAE World Congress, 2005-01-1256 2005
- Allen, C.D. Arbegast, W.J. Evaluation of Friction Spot Welds in Aluminum Alloys SAE World Congress, 2005-01-1252 2005
- Arul, S.G. Pan, T. Schwartz, W.J. Shih, A. J. Mallick, P.K.. Miller, S.F. Effects of Surface Treatment (Lubricant) on Spot Friction Welded Joints made of 6111-T4 Aluminum Sheets SAE World Congress, 2007-01-1706 2007
- Su, P. Gerlich, A. North, T.H. Friction Stir Spot Welding of Aluminum and Magnesium Alloy Sheets SAE World Congress, 2005-01-1255 2005
- Gerlich, A. Su, P. North, T. H. 2005 Tool Penetration during Friction Stir Spot Welding of Al and Mg Alloys Journal of Materials Science 40 6473 6481
- Pan, T.-Y. Santella, M. Mallick, P. K. Frederick A. Schwartz, W.J. A Feasibility Study on Spot Friction Welding of Magnesium Alloy AZ31 the 63rd Annual World Magnesium Conference Beijing, China 2006
- Agarwal, L. Mallick, P.K. Kang, H.T. Spot Friction Welding of Mg-Mg, Al-Al and Mg-Al Alloys SAE Technical Paper Series 2008-01-0144 2008
- Lin, P.-C. Pan, J. Pan, T. 2008 Failure Modes and Fatigue Life Estimations of Spot Friction Welds in Lap-Shear Specimens of Aluminum 6111-T4 Sheets. Part 2: Welds made by a Flat Tool International Journal of Fatigue 30 90 105