This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Time - Frequency Analysis Techniques Applied to Automotive Noise and Vibration Signals
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Automotive stationary noise and vibration signals are normally analyzed using Fourier methods. However, many noise and vibration signals are non-stationary (transient or time-varying). In those situations, the time characteristics of the signals can be lost using standard Fourier methods. Lately, time-frequency (TF) analysis methods have become more popular and are applied in many different areas of NVH (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) in order to preserve the time-frequency information. The objective of this paper is to present some of the different time-frequency analysis tools, such as the Short Time Fourier transform (spectrogram), the Gabor Transform, the Wavelet transforms (scalograms), and the Wigner-Ville Distribution. Examples of application of these techniques to automotive non-stationary noise and vibration signals are presented.
CitationHuallpa, B., Marano, J., and Arruda, J., "Time - Frequency Analysis Techniques Applied to Automotive Noise and Vibration Signals," SAE Technical Paper 2008-36-0350, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-36-0350.
- Qian, S., Introduction to Time-Frequency and Wavelet Transforms, New Jersey: Prentice Hall PTR, 2002.
- Strang, G. and Nguyen, T.Q., Wavelets and Filter Banks, Wellesley: Wellesley-Cambridge Press, Massachusetts, 1995.
- Zhu, X. and Kim, J., Application of Analytic Wavelet Transform to Transient Signal Analyses, SAE paper 2007-01-2321, Noise and Vibration Conference, St. Charles, Illinois, May 15-17,2007.
- Newland, D.E., Harmonic wavelet analysis, Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series A (Mathematical and Physical Sciences), vol. 443, no. 1917, p. 203-225, 1993.
- Cohen, L., Time-Frequency Analysis, Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 1995.
- Sorenson, S.R., Lock, A.M., Interpretation of Time-Frequency Distribution Cross Terms, SAE paper 2008-01-0270, 2008 SAE World Congress, Detroit, Michigan, April 14-17, 2008.