This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An overview of hydrogen fuel for vehicular application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Hydrogen is considered one of the cleanest solutions for sustainable mobility. This paper presents an overview of some of these applications, such as internal combustion engines, fuel cell application and also blends of hydrogen and natural gas.
This paper addresses questions regarding hydrogen properties such as net heating value, flame speed, power density, range of flammability and ignition energy. Also, the paper will draw a comparison between H2 and fossil and biofuels, such as ethanol. Questions regarding storage conditions, emissions levels, Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) air/fuel ratio among others are expected to be covered as well.
- Antonio Henrique Monteiro da Fonseca Thomé da Silva - Petrobras/CENPES/Products Performance in Engines Department
- Leonardo de Oliveira Carvalho - Petrobras/CENPES/Products Performance in Engines Department
- Tadeu Cavalcante Cordeiro de Melo - Petrobras/CENPES/Products Performance in Engines Department
- Maria Helena Troise Frank - Petrobras/CENPES/Renewable Energy Department
- Paulo Fernando Isabel dos Reis - Petrobras/CENPES/Renewable Energy Department
- Pedro Ricchini Villalobos - Petrobras/CENPES/Renewable Energy Department
Citationda Silva, A., de Oliveira Carvalho, L., de Melo, T., Frank, M. et al., "An overview of hydrogen fuel for vehicular application," SAE Technical Paper 2008-36-0322, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-36-0322.
- High Level Group Hydrogen Energy and Fuel Cells: A Vision of Our Future - High Level Group For Hydrogen And Fuel Cells European Commission Jun 2003
- U.S. Department of Energy Hydrogen Program Hydrogen & Our energy future 2007 www.hydrogen.energy.gov
- Riis, T. Hagen, E. F. Vie, P. J. S. Ulberg, ∅. Hydrogen Production - Gaps and Priorities IEA Hydrogen Implementing Agreement (HIA) publication 2005
- Hetland, J. Mulder, G. In search of a sustainable hydrogen economy: How a large-scale transition to hydrogen may affect the primary energy demand and greenhouse gas emissions International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 2006 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2006.08.011
- Ogden, J. Where Will the Hydrogen Come From? System Considerations and Hydrogen Supply in The Hydrogen Energy Transition: Moving Toward the Post Petroleum Age in Transportation Sperling, D. Cannon, J.S Elsevier USA 2004
- Schoenung, S.M. A comparison of hydrogen vehicle and refueling infrastructure alternatives: an analysis developed for the International Energy Agency 14th WHEC Canada 2002
- Estévez, E. A. Hourri, A. Courteau, R. Bénard, P. Effects of Hydrogen-supplementation in the combustion of natural gas engines IANGV Canada 2008
- Schouten, J.A. Michels, J.P.J. Janssen-van Rosmalen, R. Effect of H2-injection on the thermodynamic and transportation properties of natural gas International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 29 1173 1180 2004
- Module 3 - Hydrogen Use in Internal Combustion Engines College of the Desert 2001 http://www.eere.energy.gov/
- Hoekstra, R. L. Blarigan, P. V. Mulligan, N. NOx emissions end Efficiency of Hydrogen, Natural Gas, and Hydrogen/Natural Gas Blended Fuels The British Library
- Ma, F. Wang, Y. Liu, H. Li, Y. Wang, J. ZHAO, S. Experimental study on thermal efficiency and emission characteristics of lean burn hydrogen enriched natural gas engine International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 32 5067 5075 2007
- Ma, F. Wang, Y. Study on the extension of lean operation limit through hydrogen enrichment in a natural gas spark-ignition engine International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 2008 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2007.12.040
- White, C. M. Steeper, R. R. Lutz, A.E. The hydrogen-fueled internal combustion engine: a technical review International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 31 1292 1305 2006
- Melo, T. C. C. Thermodynamic modeling of an Flex-Fuel Otto Cycle Engine fueled with gasoline, alcohol and natural gas COPPE/UFRJ Brazil 2007
- Fuel Cell Handbook EG&G Technical Services, Inc. 2004
- Ahluwalia, R.K. Wang, X. Fuel cell systems for transportation: Status and trends Journal of Power Sources 177 167 176 2008
- Von Helmolt, R. Eberle, U. Fuel cell vehicles: Status 2007 Journal of Power Sources 165 833 843 2007
- Cameron, D. S. Fuel Cells in a Changing World - a Progress Report The Tenth Grove Fuel Cell Symposium Platinum Metals Rev. 52 1 2008