This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Use of Vehicle Dynamic Simulations to Define the Best Axles Configuration for a 6×6 Military Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 7, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To help the Science and Technology Department of Brazilian Army in its task to define the specifications for the next generation of 6×6 armored personnel carriers, an extensive use of 3D Vehicle Dynamic Simulations was done. Among the studies carried on, a specific set of Simulations was run to help define the best axles configuration for this vehicle. Basically three configurations were evaluated and compared:
- Twin rear axles and a single steering front axle.
- Three equally spaced axles, steering in the two front ones.
- Twin front steerable axles, and a single rear one.
Besides some specific military simulations, as trench crossing and vertical step capability, special attention was paid to handling and stability performance of each possible configuration. This work covers the steering, stability and handling aspects of such simulations and shows the comparative results of the three possible configurations
CitationVidal Franco, J., Pinto, E., and Schaefer, G., "Use of Vehicle Dynamic Simulations to Define the Best Axles Configuration for a 6×6 Military Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2008-36-0144, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-36-0144.
- -LechnerD., DelanneY., Schaefer, Schmitt. “Methodologie de validation du logiciel de dynamique automobile CALLAS” SIA 970202. Congrès SIA Lyon, Avril 1997. Repris dans Ingénieurs de l'Automobile N°713, Mai 1997.
- - SchaeferG., Lechner D., Delanne, Schmitt. “CALLAS: a decisive step toward validity for 3D vehicle dynamics” ISATA Paper 97SAF005, 30th ISATA Conference, Florence June 1997.
- - SchaeferG., André S.. “PROSPER: a useful tool for off-road vehicle design” ISTVS Paper ISTVS Conference, Ferrara, 1997.
- - Franco João and SchaeferG. “Real case of Vehicle Dynamics Simulation during an SUV Suspension Development” SAE Paper 2005-01-4177, 2005 SAE Brazil Conference, São Paulo, November 2005.
- - Franco João and SchaeferG. “Comparison of Tire Behavior using Vehicle Dynamic Simulation” SAE Paper 2006-01-2910, 2006 SAE Brazil Conference, São Paulo, November 2006.
- - Franco João and SchaeferG. “Validation off an SUV Model for Vehicle Dynamics Simulation” SAE Paper 2007-01-2655, 2007 SAE Brazil Conference, São Paulo, November 2007.
- -SchaeferG. “CALLAS PROSPER Philosophy : Targets and Specificities” CALLAS PROSPER User Group Conference, Angers, April 2008.