This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of residual stresses in aluminum wheel design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The current study shows important results obtained by a new technique of residual stress virtual evaluation in automotive components for improving the development and quality of new products, aiming the structural performance, mass and cost reductions. The approaching those virtual results were adjusted by metallurgic data obtained in metallography, mechanical and chemical analysis.
As part of this proposal, an automotive aluminum wheel belong to current production was evaluated in accordance with data acquired in the wheel manufacturing process. It was taking in account the real information of casting process parameters and the metallurgic information obtained in laboratorial tests.
In this work, the results show that product residual stresses shall be considerate and evaluated during design phases as improving proposal, new technical concerns and quality improving. As final result, to suggest a new form to approach the residual stresses in casting, which could be applicable during wheel structural design.
CitationColosio, M. and Santos, J., "Influence of residual stresses in aluminum wheel design," SAE Technical Paper 2008-36-0139, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-36-0139.
- PINEAULT J. BELASSEL M. BRAUSS M. DRAKE R. Residual Stress Measurements in Automotive Components via X-Ray Diffraction SAE 2006-01-0321 ; 2006 SAE World Congress Detroit, Michigan April 3-6 2006
- LASECKI J. V. SU XUMING ALLISON JOHN E. Development of Experimental Methods to Validate Residual Stress Models for Cast Aluminum Components SAE 2006-01-0324 ; 2006 SAE World Congress Detroit, Michigan April 3-6 2006
- ASM HANDBOOK Alloy phase diagrams ASM International 3 Materials Park, Ohio, USA 2.52 1992
- GARCÍA-HINOJOSA, J.A. GONZÁLEZ, C.R. GONZÁLEZ, G.M. HOUBAERT, Y. Structure and properties of Al-7Si-Ni and Al-7Si-Cu cast alloys non-modified and modified with Sr Journal of Materials Processing Technology 143 144 2003
- ASM HANDBOOK Properties and selection: nonferrous alloys and special-purpose materials ASM International, The Materials Information Society 2 10 Ohio, USA 125 151 1998
- ASM HANDBOOK Metallography and microestrutures ASM International - The Materials Information Society 9 Ohio, USA 9 357 360 1985
- NOYAN, I.C. COHEN, J.B. Residual stress; OSTI ID6418913 Book Springer-Verlag New York Inc. New York, NY; USA Jan 01 1986
- ASM SPECIALTY HANDBOOK Aluminum and Aluminum Alloys ASM International Materials Park, Ohio, USA 3 199 230 1994
- VERRAN GUILHERME O. Mendes RUI P.K. Simulação numérica e DOE aplicados na melhoria do processo de fundição sob pressão de ligas de alumínio Estudos tecnológicos 1808-7310 2 1 13 25 Jan 2006