This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Composites Materials Used in Pipeline Repairs
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Maintenance of oil and gas pipelines presenting corrosion damage can be done following conventional routes as cutting and substitution of the damage parts or double sleeve welded method. Recently, the use of composite materials for repair of damaged pipelines is increasing due to the advantages presented by this process like the ease application and the possibility of performing the repair without interrupting the use of the line. As the pipe operates under hydrostatic pressure, it is important to make a stress analysis in order to know the stresses transferred to the composite material repair. In the present work, a microstructural and mechanical characterization of two composite materials used in pipe repair is made. One of the composites is made of continuous fiber glass and the other of a fiber glass fabric, both with polymeric matrix. The first was pulltruded and the second was processed by hand lay up. The microstructural characterization was done through optical microscopy and the mechanical properties were evaluated by tensile tests. From the mechanical properties of the composite materials and models available in the literature, the stresses acting in the composite repairs due to the hydrostatic pressure were evaluated. The main objective of the paper is to correlate the microstructural and mechanical characteristics of the composite materials with the circunferencial stresses acting in the pipes repaired using the studied composite materials.
- Roberto Tetsuo Fujiyama - Programa de Pós-Graduação em Engenharia Mecânica - ITEC - UFPA - Rua Augusto Correa, 01, Bairro Guamá, CEP: 66075-900 Belém - PA, email@example.com.
- Fernando Luiz Bastian - Programa de Engenharia Metalúrgica e de Materiais - COPPE - UFRJ, Caixa Postal 68505, CEP: 21941-972, Ilha do Fundão, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
CitationFujiyama, R. and Bastian, F., "Composites Materials Used in Pipeline Repairs," SAE Technical Paper 2008-36-0118, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-36-0118.
- Palmer-Jones, R. Paisley, D. “Repairing Internal Corrosion Defects in Pipelines - A case Study” 4th International Pipeline Rehabilitation and Maintenance Conference 1 25 Prague September 2000
- Gere & Timoshenko “Mechanics of Materials” PWS Publishing Company Boston 1997
- ASME Code for Pressure Piping, American National Standard The American Society of Mechanical Engineers 1991
- Coulson, K. E. W. Worthington, R. G. “New Guidelines Promise more Accurate Damage Assessment” Oil and Gas Journal 1990 54 59
- Armor Plate, INC. “Analysis and Testing of the Armor Plate Pipe Wrap Repair System” Armor Plate, Inc. Pasadena, Texas 1998
- “Test Method for Tensile Properties of Polymer Matrix Composite Materials” Annual Book of ASTM Standards 15.03 1995
- SILVA, M. S. Agosto 2002