This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vehicle Reverberation Time Measurement and Validation Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
During later stages of an automotive development process, prototypes and normal production units are available to NVH evaluations and tests. During these phases, it is desirable to know as completely as possible the acoustical efficiency of the vehicle internal cavity. The interior of a modern vehicle is a complex combination of different materials, volumes and surface areas. Due to its relation to the absorption, the reverberation time measured inside a vehicle can be used as an indicator of the acoustic quality of the interior cavity, and also as parameter input into SEA models. This work presents a validation study for vehicle reverberation time measurement, including some examples of reverberation time measurement on different vehicles, addressing the difficulties and benefits of the technique.
|Technical Paper||Wind Noise Sound Quality|
|Technical Paper||Evaluation of Cavity Fillers to Improve Vehicle NVH Comfort Quality|
|Technical Paper||Development of a Test Method for BSR Noise and the Full-Vehicle Testing System|
CitationFerraz, F., Huallpa, B., and Sczibor, V., "Vehicle Reverberation Time Measurement and Validation Study," SAE Technical Paper 2008-36-0061, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-36-0061.
- International Standard ISO 3382. Acoustics - Measurement of the reverberation time of rooms with reference to other acoustical parameters - Second edition 1997-06-15
- Ebbitt, Gordon L. and Rauf, Najam A. Acoustic Absorption in Vehicles and the Measurement of Short Reverberation Times - SAE Technical Paper Series, 971905 - 1997
- Sorenson, Steve - Steady State Reverberation Time Measurement - SAE Technical Paper Series, 972032 - 1997
- Lee Sang-Kwon and Yu Dong-June - Measurement of reverberation time of a passenger car utilizing the wavelet filter bank, Proc. IMechE Vol. 219 Part D: J. Automobile Engineering D14503© IMechE - 2005.
- Peltonen Timo - A Multichannel Measurement System for Room Acoustics Analysis - Master Thesis, Helsinki University of Technology, Department of Electrical and Communications Engineering, October 2000
- MATLAB Version 188.8.131.520 Release 12.1 - 1984-2001 - MathWorks Inc.
- Geddes Earl and Blind Henry - The Localized Sound Power Method,, SAE Technical Paper Series, 850166, National Congress and Exposition, Michigan - USA, March 1985.
- Schroeder M. R. 1965. New Method of Measuring Reverberation Time. J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 37 (1965). pp. 409-412.
- Montgomery, Douglas C., Design and Analysis of Experimenta, 5th Edition, John Wiley & Sons, INC.
- Minitab Tutorial, MINITAB® Release 14.20 © 1972 - 2005 Minitab Inc. Statistical Software
- Sabine Wallace C. - Collected Papers on Acoustics. 1993, Trade Cloth ISBN 0-932146-60-0 Peninsula Publishing, Los Altos, U. S.. LCCN: 93-085708
- Musser, Chadwyck T. - Practical Vehicle Applications of Transient Statistical Energy Analysis Including Door Slam Sound Quality Predictions. JSAE Paper 2007, number: 20075335.
- Rodrigues, Alice Botteon and Musser, Chadwyck T. - SEA Model Development Considerations for Cost-Driven or Developing Market Vehicles, 2007 SAE Paper number: 2007-01-2308.